Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Altec Decals - Group Buy

Looks good Marty, I like it!

Just as a FWIW, years ago a screen printer I worked with came up with a very cool decal idea using glue. He printed face down onto water release paper with the top (exposed) layer being rubber cement. For example on our decal you'd print face down, gold, then black, then glue. The decal is covered with a slick paper to keep the glue from drying.

To apply it, you stick it on to something, then soak the release paper with a sponge until it lets go of the ink. Voila! Decal stuck. And it looked just like you had screen printed it directly onto something, you saw no surrounding glue or support, nothing. We stuck them on glass, fabric, stone, metal, wood, whatever. It was very clever. Only problem; shelf life was limited to the rubber cement staying gummy. About 1 week, IIRC.

HB Super Moderator
    Altec Decals - Group Buy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by martyh45 View Post
    Here is one for that you can comment on http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...yh45/logo8.jpg

If the cost of metallic ink gets too high there is always the two step process I mentioned earlier.

Your guys call ! Rudy gave me the price up front. $12.50 per decal.That's expensive..But I understand the amount of work he has to go through just to print the first decal.The setup process is labor intensive.But I'm confident they will look identical (Be a Stipulation) to the originals and that's what it's all about for me..I don't want look-a-likes.I would like to be able to say darn if I can tell the difference... One things for certain we won't be ordering 100-200 decals @ $12.50 a piece. 200 would cost $2500 ! Yikes..

If you guys can find them cheaper,from somewhere else,.exactly what we are looking for. Then I guess we should see who still wants them.I'm wondering if the cost is going to scare away a large percentage of our group buy ?

BTW Marty ? You did a wonderful job on the drawing !

Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

25 bucks a pair doesn't sound unreasonable. You'll pay that for the cast logo's on ebay.

HB Super Moderator
    Altec Decals - Group Buy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Re: "Very Vintage Altec Speaker"?

Yeah but for a 100 decals or more then you start to get into big money ! Nobody is going to go through all that work for 10 to 20 decals IMO... YMMV

Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by martyh45 View Post
    Here is one for that you can comment on http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...yh45/logo8.jpg

If the cost of metallic ink gets too high there is always the two step process I mentioned earlier. Artist supply houses sell an imitation gold leaf that can be set first with a mask for the glue and then a waterslide of the black outline could be set over the top of that. It's a little bit of screwing around but I think you would end up with a pretty nice imitation. I've had success with laser-jet waterslide paper with spray lacquer over the top
    Yep that's right on the money. Do you have it in PDF form? or outlines that's available?
    Last edited by cradeldorf; June 30th, 2012 at 01:38 PM.

Senior Hostboard Member martyh45's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anybody know which alps ink is right for the gold background? I see that gold foil is still available for them. If that color is right the cartridge is less than $16.00. There are 32 decals per 8-1/2x 11 sheet at $12.50 each that would be $400 per sheet. Assuming an Alps with gold foil will work, for the cost of two sheets you own the printer and all the supplies need to start making them.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I need a bit more help to finish the artwork. I need an accurate measurement for something in the long dimension to scale them. The bottom bar from center of vertical line to center of vertical line in English is probably best. Once I have that I can layout an entire sheet and make it available in any format that can be saved from acrobat.

Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The question is: Do we want metallic ink for the gold? If so, it's going to be silk screen or the Alps. If not, that opens up a lot of other vendors with inkjet or laser.
    Once that is decided I'll fish around for quotes. No matter what, this will be a short run, so setup cost will increase our cost per piece quite a bit.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would want the gold metalic

Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Me too, but I have not seen the original decals in person (that I remember). Were they metallic ink, or just a "gold color"? Hard to tell from the photos.