Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Stacking Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Yeah, historically I couldn't tolerate such a set-up of mismatched parts, so at best it would have been with the Santana's tweeters disconnected and cabs right side up to get the woofers closer and then reduced the M19's horn shelving as required to tonally balance it out as much as practical.

GM
    I haven't tried disconnecting the tweeter on the Santana II's, but maybe this weekend I'll give it a whirl. I've seen people add a tweeter to two way horn loaded systems for extra "sparkle", but in this case, the 19's have never needed any extra sparkle so disconnecting the tweeter on the Santana II's might be worth a try. Not to mention, I can't really hear the tweeter when both pair of speakers are playing simultaneously--the mids and bass sound "fuller" but the treble seems unaffected. Funny thing is that with the Santana II's and the Model 19's playing simultaneously, it really does sound significantly better and more full than just the 19's alone at any volume. I wonder if it's just because I'm "moving more air"/more displacement/bigger "wall of sound", or could it be because of one of these three reasons:

1) Is it because my amp sounds better with a 4 ohm load than an 8 ohm load (which I doubt would explain the significant improvement I'm hearing).
    2) Could it be that the Santana II's excel at the 19's weaker points. (seems possible to me as a guess). I can't hear a deficiency, but I've read that a weak point of the 19's is the midrange at 1200 hz and just below because the woofer ideally shouldn't have to cover frequencies that high. So maybe the Santana II's twelve inch woofer excels in that range of frequencies, and are filling in or enhancing that frequency range (say, 800-1200 hz for example)? The mids do sound noticeably improved when I play the Santana II's with the Model 19's compared to the Model 19's alone. Also, could the Santana II's be better at certain bass or mid bass frequencies than the 19's—could that be why the bass sounds more full and powerful with both pair of speakers playing at the same time compared to the 19's alone?
    3) Or could it just be room acoustics? The upside down Santana's woofer/bass reflecting off of the ceiling is now combined with the 19's woofer/bass reflecting off of the floor giving me a bigger “wall of sound”? I wish you guys could hear this difference. These Santana II's make my 19's sound significantly better—especially bass and mids (highs seem more or less unaffected). When I bought my first pair of Model 19's they immediately became my gold standard as far as speaker sound quality. But, the 19's combined with the Santana II's are without a doubt the best sounding speaker/stereo system I've ever heard—the sound of the 19's and Santana II's playing at the same time sounds that good to me. Anyone care to chime in as to what could be a reason for this?
    Last edited by voice of the theater; July 11th, 2012 at 10:37 AM.
    Being of "Sound" Mind