Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: My new-to-me 820s

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Lacquer was the preferred coating with Ga. cabinet, furniture manufacturers until EPA stopped them in the late '70s IIRC, but no clue about Ca. other than such changes originated there.
    And in fact I looked through the Badmaieff and Davis book a bit more. In one of the other chapters, they talk about using a laquer finish. The 820 cabinets only came in blond or mahongany. So I think we can safely say it is a "mahogany laquer" finish.
    W.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Interesting! It seems almost like these were assembled somewhere other than the factory as the 391 manufacturer date code goes back to WWII. Even more head scratching is they were still building the 'A' with an 'Iconic' label, 811 horn as late as '56. This still doesn't explain the difference in vent design as the woofers should all be pretty much identical through this period.

I presume these have N-800-D XOs.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wws944 View Post
    So I think we can safely say it is a "mahogany laquer" finish.
    Works for me!

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Interesting! It seems almost like these were assembled somewhere other than the factory as the 391 manufacturer date code goes back to WWII. Even more head scratching is they were still building the 'A' with an 'Iconic' label, 811 horn as late as '56. This still doesn't explain the difference in vent design as the woofers should all be pretty much identical through this period.
    When was the move from Beverly Hills to Anaheim? Maybe the newer one was built somewhere else. It certainly seems to have a bit higher level of construction detail. Except for the wiring - which is a bit messy compared to the earlier one.

I presume these have N-800-D XOs.
    Yep. I confirmed that both are N800D, and that is also what the schematics show. Different cosmetics though.

Also note that in the link I provided back in post #8, that his cabinet has both holes on the bottom and the tilted triangular piece in the corner. In mine it is holes-only in the older cabinet and triangular piece-only in the newer one.
    Last edited by wws944; September 1st, 2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Typo...
    W.

Senior Hostboard Member
    My new-to-me 820s

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wws944 View Post
    Also note that in the link I provided back in post #8, that his cabinet has both holes on the bottom and the tilted triangular piece in the corner. In mine it is holes-only in the older cabinet and triangular piece-only in the newer one.
    I noticed that same detail! Do the labels in both of your C's show Beverley Hills?
    - Mike

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alien_Shore View Post
    I noticed that same detail! Do the labels in both of your C's show Beverley Hills?
    Both show Beverly Hills on the schematic diagrams on the inside. The newer one also has an "Iconic" label with Beverly Hills address on the outside of one of the side panels. The cabinet in the link in post #8 has the exact same label. But the label is missing on my older cabinet.

My newer one also has an envelope glued to the side panel containing a diagram of how to remove the side panels and undo the nuts holding the front grille piece to the cabinet. Needed for narrow doorways... The older one appears to have had that same diagram glued to the rear (as the one in the link does), rather than in an envelope. But at some point in the past it disappeared too. I can see the glue residue from where it used to be.
    Last edited by wws944; September 1st, 2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: typos...
    W.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The site mentioned in post #8 also has a page documenting a 1951-era 820A, at: 1951 Altec 820a The schematic diagram is dated 3/14/51. So shortly after this must be when 820s started production.

It has both holes and the triangular piece at the bottom. Now I am wondering if my older cabinet is missing the triangular (actually trapezoidal) piece? Next time I open it up, I guess I should look for evidence of it having once been there.

GM: Check out the '20159' code stamped on the woofers. Also the 803A woofers and xover are marked 12 ohms, not 16 ohms. The 802B is marked 15 ohms. Interesting that they didn't change the model number with a different VC impedance in later versions.
    W.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Got one estimate to refinish the cabinets. He only wants to do both of them, so they will match. And of course, at twice the price. My opinion is that they aren't supposed to match, and one really doesn't need refinishing. So I have a second guy coming in a few days to look at them...
    Last edited by wws944; September 20th, 2012 at 07:30 PM.
    W.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Another 820 on ebay, this time a single 820C: Altec Lansing 820C Speaker System - Finest Speaker System From Altec - Original | eBay

Someone applied Formica to the cabinet, and painted the grille frame black. Also added the recessed round terminal strip on the back. (Normally, I think the wiring is simply supposed to be inelegantly routed under the cabinet. On mine, my uncle put a couple of brass binding posts on a rear side panel of each one. I seem to recall him telling me about it when he did it.)

His comment about "The cabinet has an original Altec Lansing spec sheet which dated this to early (2-31-1955). We all know there is no Feb 31 in any year. So this must be a rare error dating it such. The only one in the world!" is also present on the schematic in my 1957 820. Check out my photo in post #10 of this thread. Both my 1957 820C and his are "Issue 3" 820Cs.

GM: Note that his woofers have "20409" stamped on the cones - like the ones in my "Issue 1" 1955 cabinet. Though mine are painted gray, and his are green.

Once again, this cabinet has *both* the "holes" and the tilted triangular piece at the bottom. I looked really closely at my 1955 cabinet - and could find no sign of the tilted piece having ever been there. Nor does my 1957 cabinet have the holes.

His BIN price is $2995, but no one has jumped on it. Since someone just paid $7700 for a pair of these guys, I am guessing it is because of the Formica and associated cosmetic changes?
    Last edited by wws944; September 30th, 2012 at 10:29 AM.
    W.

Senior Hostboard Member
    My new-to-me 820s

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Yeah, only a scumbag eBay dealer would claim Altec had the printer do ONE spec sheet at a time...you can not turn on a printing press for ONE sheet of paper.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.