Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: First post: Questions regarding ALTEC 612 enclosure - DI

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    ...Hmm, Photobucket must have made some major changes since I gave up on them due to being a pain to use and often not allowing folks to view my album without joining, so posting a test link: http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...Onkenwith6.jpg
    GM
    GM, I just clicked on your test link and it works fine--and I'm not logged into photobucket. People can definitely view your photobucket links without joining....
    Being of "Sound" Mind

Senior Hostboard Member
    First post: Questions regarding ALTEC 612 enclosure - DIY

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tralalalala View Post
    OK - have not read much yet, but have seen pictures of the DATS program ...
    Guess that I?m wrong in my previous assumptions.

It looks like I will only need to hook up the 604E?s directly through a usb/audio cable to a computer.

My 604E?s has gone through some major surgery at GPA.
    They were in a bad shape, anyway: do you think that it?s worth the effort in asking if they got these parameters on my 604E?s.

- Tralalalala
    Mine as well. I recently picked up a 604E on ePay that had a torn cone. I sent it off to GPA for recone, magnet recharge, and new diaphragm in the HF. Everything came back looking great, albeit they used 8 ohm voice coil in the woofer and 8 ohm diaphragm in the HF.

Yes, you're right about the DATs - you simply hook it up directly to your speaker and it will do all the math for you, and show you the T/S parameters for your speaker. You can see some details in this thread here. These parameters will help you determine the right size cabinet you'll need, how big the port should be, etc. The parameters are really just starting points though, you'll need to use your ears to fine-tune things to what is just right for you.

I'm following along your thread with great interest because I am getting ready to build a cabinet for my 604E as well. I am trying to decide if a smaller utility cabinet will work, or should I go with bigger like the Stonehenge III -type cabinet.
    - Mike

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Alien_Shore for thumbs up on the thread : )

I do not know if there any sense in posting my latest update of drawings of cabs because I do have the correct tools to do calculations now...
    , BUT this is the closest I get right now to a 612C enclosure that has the iconic cab front - a front that I like very much.... : )

I?ve asked before , but have yet not gotten any answer on the question:

Does anybody know what dimensions on the side braces and on the brace that goes across the whole enclosure in 612C cabinet?

I can read my uploads fine on my computer when seeing them online, can you? If not I have to do as the rest of you guys and join the conservation on uploading of pictures to this site... ; )

- Tralalalala

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

The original 612 is the Lansing general purpose cab for all of its 15" drivers, so predates the 515 by quite a few years and AFAIK was first used by Altec for the Duplex and Diacone series as were all the original 12-15" utility cabs.

I forgot about the different frame sizes, the drawings will need a driver cutout chart also.

Hmm, Photobucket must have made some major changes since I gave up on them due to being a pain to use and often not allowing folks to view my album without joining, so posting a test link: http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...Onkenwith6.jpg

Bummer, I'll just post links from now on and wish others would too since I can't see most photos in detail clearly enough.

GM
    Yes your right the 612 was a utility cabinet. But what I should have said and meant was most of the early 612's I have seen had 515's in them.Especially in concert venues,auditoriums,etc, with a multicell horn.I was referring to the original cabinet that Joe was referring to with the cotton batting.

Hmm, mine have no check box nor an 'Actions' button, instead a menu pops up on each pic, but see no way to do multiples except by generating the links and copy/pasting them one at a time.

GM

edit: See no way to enlarge the pics either, so can't read some of them.

This is what you should see.And right under the photo there is a small box you just put a check in it.And it will highlight the photo with a blue trim around the photo take a look.

After that scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see "Choose Action" click on that and it will open a drop down menu.Click on the Generate link codes.Then in the middle of that box you click on the (IMG) for Bulletin Boards "Full Size".

This box here.You can upload 6-8 pics at a time I think. The whole purpose is to bypass Hostboards photo re-sizer which makes the photos real small no matter the size of the original.Photobucket also has a photo sizer so you make them smaller or larger.

I didn't understand what you meant about the posting only links instead because they only bring you to the photos anyway.It's Hostboard that makes them smaller.By using a photo sharing site like Photobucket,Flickr,Image Shack,etc.. You bypass the Hostboard photo re-sizer and can post them in any size.

Now you should be able to see some detail in this photo.

To resize a photo click on the photo in Photobucket after it opens then just put the cursor in the top left corner of photo and a drop down menu will appear. Will say (File,Edit,Resize,etc.)

GM let me know if you need some more help... Once you get it you won't look back !
    Last edited by Altec Best; November 17th, 2012 at 03:11 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

There is a cutout template on this site : Vintage Altec 15 & 16 inch Speaker Mounting Template
    Is this what you think of GM when you mean a driver cutout chart ?
    Correct.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

I do not know if there any sense in posting my latest update of drawings of cabs because I do have the correct tools to do calculations now...

Does anybody know what dimensions on the side braces and on the brace that goes across the whole enclosure in 612C cabinet?

I can read my uploads fine on my computer when seeing them online, can you?
    Because it would be nice to have a composite drawing for folks to refer to and/or use to DIY a cab for their app.

Someone with a 612C cab would have to measure them as Altec used many different sizes of bracing over the decades from full size 1x1", 2x2" to their reduced 3/4 x 3/4", etc. sizes or switched to 3/4x2-1/2" placed on edge to replace either.

If I open it in a new tab I can blow it up to just barely read the dimensions on this brand new 'HD' LED monitor. All those black dims, arrows, lines all scrunched up against a medium dark blue/gray background gives me an instant headache.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    GM let me know if you need some more help... Once you get it you won't look back !
    I can do similar in Flickr, but my Photobucket looks absolutely nothing like yours. Anyway, got to get back to the daily rearranging of leaves since I can't burn them and the county will only pick up once a week, but will post some more as time permits.

GM

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If I open it in a new tab I can blow it up to just barely read the dimensions on this brand new 'HD' LED monitor. All those black dims, arrows, lines all scrunched up against a medium dark blue/gray background gives me an instant headache.

GM
    Thanks for sharing the dimensions GM, helped a lot.

Anyway: will try to upload the last sketch through imageshack.

I can probably make a print especially for you GM if you still find the blue background color annoying...

test6vi

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

- Tralalalala

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I can do similar in Flickr, but my Photobucket looks absolutely nothing like yours. Anyway, got to get back to the daily rearranging of leaves since I can't burn them and the county will only pick up once a week, but will post some more as time permits.

GM
    Hmm Is your Photobucket blue or black ? I had to change mine back because they are trying a Beta version right now.. You can change that back in the upper right hand corner there is a link.

But Anyway I recommend you to use whatever works best for you.. I know you like flickr,so I would stay with that.I have a Photobucket Pro account.And a Flickr free account..

Google Picasa,Image Shack, are good too.There are lots of them.

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I can probably make a print especially for you GM if you still find the blue background color annoying...
    Another helpful move I think would be to increase the size of the font..As GM noted the arrows and numbers are very hard to see (Too Small). What are you using to draw up the plan ?