Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

newbie looking for altec colours

Hi there. About 10 years ago I built a couple of pairs of VOT's. Made them out of maple veneered mdf and now after too
    many times moving these tanks around they are looking abused. I would like to go retro on the re-finish and would like to know if anyone has a Benjamine Moore colour code that works. I can get my catalytic laquers tinted to any colour on the wheel. Also I would like to know of a source for some decals for the sides. I put the 511's in seperate cabinets so I would need 8 of them. (not sure if they go on both sides or just one) Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas , Steve

HB Super Moderator
    newbie looking for altec colours

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Re: newbie looking for altec colours

Welcome to the board ! Try a Battleship gray. And for the stickers they are on eBay all the time now..

Altec Voice of The Theater Decal Set of Four 4 | eBay

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks so much for info. This forum is great.What a wealth of information. I have many more questions regarding this little project but will save them for later (one step at a time ). My expertise is in the cabinetmaking end of things and would be happy to give advice or help with that. The electronic end is where I tend to falter. Not quite sure where I developed this Altec bug of mine. I do know I have a deep root in music and I just like quality and history. These speakers have been somewhat of an enigma for me over the years,at times sounding just terrible and at times magical. Perhaps with some help I can get them to behave more like the magical. Cheers for now and if anyone is interested I can post some photos. Steve

Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I can't speak for anyone else but My Altecs do the same thing. I think I have decided it's my ears that are what makes it bad or magical. I have noticed that late night they sound the best, usually after 11 pm and more closer to 3 am.

Senior Hostboard Member amandarae's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else but My Altecs do the same thing. I think I have decided it's my ears that are what makes it bad or magical. I have noticed that late night they sound the best, usually after 11 pm and more closer to 3 am.
    I think it's not your ears doing the chameleon like sound that you are hearing. I think it is the quality of the power from the outlets. A little cry for help for a power conditioner no?
    Eight years ago, before I move to my current residence, I had the same experience in the old house. A DIY isolation trafo and balance power transformer using Plitron 2kVA did the trick for me.

Abe
    QNME In Retro!