Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: OT- So....how Is Everybody?

I hooked up my subwoofer using the high level inputs the other day. Totally cured the hum I was getting using the line level input.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
    I hooked up my subwoofer ...
    what are you using for the sub?
    guns kill people,

like spoons made rush limbaugh,

fat ....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

IMG_0545-vi.jpg
    Scored these

IMG_0549-vi.jpg
    And four of these came in

Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tomt View Post
    what are you using for the sub?
    Dayton 12" she's got plenty of boom in her.

Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nice score tinpan, what's the plan?

Actually I have been busy with projects, mostly non-Altec though. Cornucopya's [sic] are top of the bill [easy to build version of Daniel Ciesinger's spiral horn] along with a new woofer project, new finds at the second hand store etc.

Eventually I will put together my own version of a Stanley Screamer with the 416C bottom and 604-8H top, most likely in an Onken style cabinet.
    Nothing like a great big pair of speakers to make your day.
    [url]http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll111/calweldon/?start=all[/url]
    [url]www.calweldonconsulting.ca[/url]

Senior Hostboard Member
    OT- So....how Is Everybody?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
    Eventually I will put together my own version of a Stanley Screamer with the 416C bottom and 604-8H top, most likely in an Onken style cabinet.
    You should do a build thread on that! Looks interesting!!
    - Mike

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

IMG_6902-vi.jpg
    They will be going in these.

I mounted a pair of 803s in preparation for the A210s but I put them on my A7s and they sounds so nice I think I'll leave them there.

I found these 1003s and ordered that pair of 288 drivers oldguy found on another thread. These are a little rougher, I'll have to clean up a little rust and paint them, plus make another set of wings. I am a little concerned the 515s won't fit. I'd hate to have to send them back to get the frame cut

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

I am a little concerned the 515s won't fit. I'd hate to have to send them back to get the frame cut
    If those are old style(32-1/2 inch overall width) 210's, you're going to have to cut something. I figure the cabinets are easier to return to original than a truncated driver frame.

It is possible to chisel out the inside of the side panels where the motorboard meets them. The panel gets mighty thin there, maybe 1/8 left on each side. That will usually allow large frame drivers to be "shoehorned" in there and will mount using the factory T-nuts. You should be able to slip a business card or matchbook cover between the driver frames, there won't be any extra space beyond that.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zelgall View Post
    I've been trying my 604-8g's in place of model 19's for the last few days. I really think the 604's are better for jazz and small group classical than the 19's but they just don't rock the same way. I listen to a lot of different types of music so both work but not for everything. I'll try the 604's with a couple of subs for while to get a better idea of what's what.
    I think they work better in a 813 UREI configuration.The extre woofer fiils the room. Ithink if my memory is correct that it's a 3 way monitor.The second woofer could be a 515 allnico or a 416B.It would work just as well.

Anny one knows what the second woofer XO seperation frequency is .
    Last edited by LICORNE; February 9th, 2013 at 03:56 PM.

Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Doing great!

I finally cleaned up the basement after it flooded a year and a half ago. I also lugged the EV Sentry IVs downstairs and discovered many terrible sound transmission issues upstairs emanating through the floor and heating ducts. It's funny that the Altecs upstairs don't do the same when I am in the basement. Both upstairs and downstairs layouts are identical.

Worst offender was the adjustable heat registers rattling in the duct work and also the dampeners in the registers. Fixed that by slipping automotive car door edge molding onto the registers and removing the dampeners. Doesn't sound like someone hitting the duct with a drum stick anymore, but still tons of sound coming through. I still need to somehow wrap the 6" ductwork running across the basement ceiling with something sound deadening. Too bad they outlawed asbestos.

I also need to remove the drop ceiling, stuff the floor joists with 12" of friction fit fiber glass in the 10" joist space, and I was thinking of covering the ceiling/bottom of the joists with removable 4x8 sandwiches consisting of from bottom to top; 1/4" oak ply-wood glued to 1/2" or 5/8” gypsum board, glued to 1/2" foam carpet pad and screwed to the floor joists with rubber sleeved and under headed screws so I can remove the panels and access the floor system. I need to come up with some kind of channel to wrap the sandwich edges with like they make from 1/2” and 5/8” drywall.

Also need to glue something on the upstairs stairwell hollow core door as that is also a bad sound source as well a dampen the stove range hood and lots of other things upstairs that rattle.

I’m making my kids buy me a bunch of black light posters for fathers day and birthdays.

And… finally got my Crown DC300A power amp fixed, now just need to do the same with the Stax SRA12S preamp, and re-cone the 416-8As and I can listen to my A7-500s again after 15 years or so.

End of Essay.
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast