Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: OT- So....how Is Everybody?

I did a rather strange thing last night. (like that's a surprise) and it turned out to sound really good. I understand what Greg was trying to say now that just because you can tune your cabinets to your speakers doesn't mean everybody likes them that way. I was goofing around and cut a couple of scrap pieces into backs for my cabs but left the top 6.5 inches missing. Then I closed up the port on the front. (basically I moved the port to the back side of the cab, same square inches) it was less shouty but didn't have the open tingly sound I like. Since the attenuators were not hooked up I decided to take them out so there would be a 2" hole in the front baffle to let some tingleness out. It did, but it sounded like a miniature speaker and was kinda messing up the zero point source sound. So I stuffed just the attenuator cups back in the holes so all there was was about a 3/8 hole...It still sounded like there was a speaker there but was even louder!!!. Like a super tweeter. I liked what it was doing but didn't like how it was messing with the zero point source so I measured out all around the speakers and drilled 8-3/8th inch holes all the way around each speaker. They don't sound boxy at all and they have a nice tingle to them I also put the full backs on. I know it sounds kooky but I'll be damned if it doesn't sound better than ever. I would have never guessed that that much sound could come out of a 3/8's hole but it does. I'll shoot a picture of what I'm talking about tomorrow and post it so you can see what I'm talking about. If I can get a decent sounding vid I'll post that up too.
    Last edited by cradeldorf; February 15th, 2013 at 02:53 AM.

Senior Hostboard Member juniper's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cradeldorf you are the mad scientist of the 604, Awesome!!!

Senior Hostboard Member
    OT- So....how Is Everybody?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by juniper View Post
    Cradeldorf you are the mad scientist of the 604, Awesome!!!
    A peek inside Cradledorf's laborrrratory:
    - Mike

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Damn, that looks like the Solen Audio display at the Montreal audio show, a lot of goodies!

Senior Hostboard Member martyh45's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alien_Shore View Post
    A peek inside Cradledorf's laborrrratory:
    So now I feel bad. I was looking at the picture and realized I could identify a good portion of what I saw. So, I thought to myself?. Self, what kind of freak would know that. And then I thought? Self, you should stop at the thrift on the way home from work and see if they have any cool old audio stuff. And people wonder why I drink.

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by martyh45 View Post
    So now I feel bad. I was looking at the picture and realized I could identify a good portion of what I saw. So, I thought to myself?. Self, what kind of freak would know that. And then I thought? Self, you should stop at the thrift on the way home from work and see if they have any cool old audio stuff. And people wonder why I drink.
    Having indulged in a few various "narrow market" hobbies other than the audio hobby, i am here to tell you that it is a very fine line that separates hobby from sickness.

When i was a bit younger, a bit lighter, and a bit more flexible, i had a snowmobile drag racing fetish. Talk about pulling a vacuum at the bottom of a money pit.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That can't be my laboratory...there's no Bong.
    Being serious for a minute On this link the guy talks and shows that he runs a wire from the speaker frame to the negative speaker connection... Not saying its a good or bad Idea, just wondering why it would make a change in the sound? He claims it does,
    http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/do...o-206_copy.pdf

Also I've been under the impression that my 604's are basically 515's with horn drivers mounted to them, But when I look at 515 specs both the 515B (which is the only one out there) and the GPA 515's they both say the frequency response is 20hz to 1000hz. How can that ever work with a horn that's not supposed to go below 1600?

I'm still getting a boxy sound though, I think it's because the LF driver is trying to do what a HF driver should. It's always on the men's voices in movies. Will Ferrel in the other guys is where it was doing it today...er..yesterday.
    Last edited by cradeldorf; February 16th, 2013 at 05:01 AM.

Senior Hostboard Member
    OT- So....how Is Everybody?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    Having indulged in a few various "narrow market" hobbies other than the audio hobby, i am here to tell you that it is a very fine line that separates hobby from sickness.
    Agreed. When you just do it a little bit, it's a sickness. But if it takes over your life, it's a hobby.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
    he runs a wire from the speaker frame to the negative speaker connection <snip> just wondering why it would make a change in the sound?
    I've even seen it on some older commercial speakers. Not sure why.
    Also I've been under the impression that my 604's are basically 515's with horn drivers mounted to them
    I think it's the other way around. I believe the 515 came as result of the 604.
    Nothing like a great big pair of speakers to make your day.
    [url]http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll111/calweldon/?start=all[/url]
    [url]www.calweldonconsulting.ca[/url]

Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Okay lesson learned. Don't put holes in the front of your cabinets. yada yada yada, Anywho, I switched back to the shortened back panel and plugged all the holes in the front of the cabs. I then put some poly fil over the opening in the back and then some of that thin black carpet I have over the poly fil. It sounds pretty damn good now...Kind of an Aperiodic alignment.
    Sorry about the darkness of the video but it's one of the best sounding I have gotten in a while.

T2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast