Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Re: A7 cabinets in NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by alancohen View Post
    Those don't look too bad. 288-8Ls are the ferrite version of the 288-K if I'm not mistaken. But what horn is that?
    MRII 564

I thought about these for about 30 seconds 'cause they're close, lotta money for a pair of ferrite 288's and some boxes and woofers that are useless to me. I'll wait for either vintage or new GPA alnico 288's.

Painted metal dustcaps?
    Stiff paper.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Senior Hostboard Member
    A7 cabinets in NY, NY

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    MRII 564

I thought about these for about 30 seconds 'cause they're close, lotta money for a pair of ferrite 288's and some boxes and woofers that are useless to me. I'll wait for either vintage or new GPA alnico 288's.

Stiff paper.
    Now that I have my shop set up in the garage I'll be spending quite a bit of time out there and need music.

I was pondering using the 288s with the MRII 564s at first, but eventually with some home brewed 1005s and 416As in my new 828 cabs in the house, and then the 8256 cabs with my Heathkit 811/802Gs in the garage. Bad idea?

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alancohen View Post
    Now that I have my shop set up in the garage I'll be spending quite a bit of time out there and need music.

I was pondering using the 288s with the MRII 564s at first, but eventually with some home brewed 1005s and 416As in my new 828 cabs in the house, and then the 8256 cabs with my Heathkit 811/802Gs in the garage. Bad idea?
    That might work really well. For one thing, the sensitivity of the LF and HF sections will be so close that you should be able to delete any type of pad from the HF circuit of the XO. Bonus points if you can cross them above 800.

The one possible caveat is that the low end will roll off pretty good starting in the mid 50hz range, you might gain some useful extension from corner placement.

Senior Hostboard Member
    A7 cabinets in NY, NY

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

That might work really well. For one thing, the sensitivity of the LF and HF sections will be so close that you should be able to delete any type of pad from the HF circuit of the XO. Bonus points if you can cross them above 800.

The one possible caveat is that the low end will roll off pretty good starting in the mid 50hz range, you might gain some useful extension from corner placement.
    For the house system I will be using a Behringer 2496 active XO and bi-amping once I get my 300B monoblocks built. That will free up the 800Hz XOs in the Heathkits if the ones in the 8256 cabs aren't up to snuff.

As far as the garage system the space acoustics will be substandard to say the least. Concrete floor and non-insulated bare stud walls, to say nothing of a big aluminum double wide garage door. I have no illusions of generating decent bass response.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Insulate some of the stud bays approximately where the first reflection from the horns would hit and in the corners behind the speakers, a throw rug in front of each cabinet, and maybe a couple mover's blankets that can easily be hung and removed from the inside of the garage door. You might be surprised how little treatment is needed to greatly improve that space.

Folks need to get more excited abut room treatment, the room has the most influence on the sound of a system second only to the components of the system itself.

Senior Hostboard Member
    A7 cabinets in NY, NY

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Folks need to get more excited abut room treatment, the room has the most influence on the sound of a system second only to the components of the system itself.
    Agreed. I can't believe the difference in my LR since I put up curtains. As soon as I get done spending my weekends picking up new Altec components I'm going to build some absorption panels. My UltraTouch denim insulation has arrived.

I guess I had it wrong. According to this:

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/vint...spec_sheet.pdf

It's the 288-K that has ferrite magnets as well. So what's the difference between 288-Ls and 288-Ks?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

It's the 288-K that has ferrite magnets as well. So what's the difference between 288-Ls and 288-Ks?
    I'm still learning this large format stuff. Near as i can tell the differences are as follows:

288K = 1.4 inch 3 bolt pattern mounting only
    288L = 2 inch 4 bolt pattern as well as 1.4 inch 3 bolt pattern, also appears to handle more power(i have doubts since they both use the same phragm).

Senior Hostboard Member
    A7 cabinets in NY, NY

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

They do look monsterous. I might just get 'em.

Senior Hostboard Member martyh45's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Amen to that
    I’m in the process of reading the master handbook of acoustics cover to cover. Ray tracing my new room in AutoCad to check the layout. It’s gonna by my masterpiece

Senior Hostboard Member
    A7 cabinets in NY, NY

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

OK, I think I'm going for the A6s in PA.

voice of the theater speakers

They originally came out of an AT&T auditorium that's was about 2 miles from where I work. I think that's too much of a coincidence for me to pass up. He's had them for 20+ years and they work perfectly. I figure the bass bins are worth $250 easy and the horns can go for $150 if I decide to sell. He's willing to move a little on the $800 so I figure I'll own the 288-8Ls for $350. Good deal. Thanks for the tip dbale!
    Last edited by alancohen; February 14th, 2013 at 01:48 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast