Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Adding to the herd...

Hi, my name is Alan...and I'm an Altec addict.

I thought these a pretty good deal. He originally had them with a $2300 BIN, but no one bit. I got them for $1125 with cabs and n1600 XOs. Bill has already reconed them. The title says 604D, but the copy says 604Cs. Not much difference that I can discern.

These might be the bedroom speakers, or when all this Altec dust settles, I might just end up keeping it very simple and just using these with my little 300B monoblocks and that's it. Should be heavenly.

Pair of Altec 604D and N1600 Crossovers | eBay

FWIW: the A6s sound great, but I have a major suckout at 100Hz. Also, I'm thinking that the 288/MR564IIs are not imaging as well as the 802G/811s in the 9' listening distance in my LR. I'm hearing sound from the speakers, not the "sound stage". Multicells might make a difference. That's the way I heard them originally in my friends small LR.

Also, nothing below 50Hz. Need subs if these are to be mains. Then again I would likely have the same scenario with the 515Bs in the 828s. But a little sweeter, I'm guessing.

Senior Hostboard Member
    Adding to the herd...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Re: Adding to the herd...

Good deal. labels say 604D.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Senior Hostboard Member
    Adding to the herd...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Thanks OG. I thought so too. Especially since Bill went over them recently.

I read that label a dozen times and never saw the "D". I think it just blended in with the D in Duplex to my eyes.

The cabs are 45.5 x 18.75 x 15.25 with 3/4" panels and a 1-1/2 baffle. I figure about 6cuft. We'll see how they sound.

Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Congrats--nice purchase! An even better deal if the cabs are quality construction/design....
    Being of "Sound" Mind

Senior Hostboard Member
    Adding to the herd...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Muchas gracias, VOTT. The cabs look pretty good. I'm hoping the quality is better than the photography. If the guy took the trouble to send them out to be refurbished, he probably took care on the cabs. He said he paid $400 for them, but I'm not sure how long ago. They look MLTLish.

Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

D's are a more unique oddbod 604 to have, just not really a factory publicised unit, although very much available!

If you're collecting Altec, a very worth pair to have.

Well done!

Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=alancohen;1847319]Hi, my name is Alan...and I'm an Altec addict.

I thought these a pretty good deal. He originally had them with a $2300 BIN, but no one bit. I got them for $1125 with cabs and n1600 XOs. Bill has already reconed them. The title says 604D, but the copy says 604Cs. Not much difference that I can discern.

These might be the bedroom speakers, or when all this Altec dust settles, I might just end up keeping it very simple and just using these with my little 300B monoblocks and that's it. Should be heavenly.

Pair of Altec 604D and N1600 Crossovers | eBay

FWIW: the A6s sound great, but I have a major suckout at 100Hz. Also, I'm thinking that the 288/MR564IIs are not imaging as well as the 802G/811s in the 9' listening distance in my LR. I'm hearing sound from the speakers, not the "sound stage". Multicells might make a difference. That's the way I heard them originally in my friends small LR.

Also, nothing below 50Hz. Need subs if these are to be mains. Then again I would likely have the same scenario with the 515Bs in the 828s. But a little sweeter, I'm guessing.[/Q]

I challenge you to a duel of multicells at 9 feet. You might want to consider going in the other direction at those distances. As for the lack of bass on the a6's All I can say is that by doing the aperiodic thing (Membrane across the port that restricts but doesn't cut off the flow) to my cabs it enhanced the lower bass quite nicely.

Senior Hostboard Member
    Adding to the herd...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
    I challenge you to a duel of multicells at 9 feet. You might want to consider going in the other direction at those distances. As for the lack of bass on the a6's All I can say is that by doing the aperiodic thing (Membrane across the port that restricts but doesn't cut off the flow) to my cabs it enhanced the lower bass quite nicely.
    I heard some 1005s/288s at a friends house from maybe 8' and the sound was spectacular. Although it was my first exposure to Altec Glory so my memory might be skewed. Now that I have some experience I should probably go back and listen again. I do remember not being able to hear the horns. I just heard the sound stage. It was a wall of sound that was completely un-directional.

It is possible I have my speakers a little too far apart. My friends 1005 centers were closer together than my MRs are now. I've found that the distance between the speakers is equally, if not more important that listening distance. Separating speakers can enhance stereo separation at the expense of the stereo image. With the Heathkits, the spoken voice from the TV was dead center and if I closed my eyes and pointed to where I heard the voice coming from, it appeared to come right out of the screen. Now I hear it in the speakers.

That said...I could easily see myself eventually downsizing to a pair of 604s with a 1.5W 300B monoblock for each and that's it. Maybe even bi-amp them. But for now I want to experience the big stuff and experiment. Everything I've purchased can be resold for just about break even $$$. I do not plan on being a collector. I just want good sound.

Senior Hostboard Member
    Adding to the herd...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
    As for the lack of bass on the a6's All I can say is that by doing the aperiodic thing (Membrane across the port that restricts but doesn't cut off the flow) to my cabs it enhanced the lower bass quite nicely.
    I'm going to have to do something soon. The cat has been eyeing up those ports as a possible escape route from the dog.

Senior Hostboard Member
    Adding to the herd...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

So I picked up the 604Ds today. So far, so good. The drivers look great and there is hardly scratch on the frames.

As far as the cabs, I learned that the guy I bought them from paid $400 for them, but the guy he bought them from paid $1100. They are a little scratched up, fairly well built and weigh a ton and for their size. There seems to be reasonable bracing inside. Here are some pics:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast