Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Re: OT: Show us your DIY tube amps

Tell me more about the PSVane toobs. Anyone know if the low cost line parts are tough? I lost 2 more Svets and am down to mono at this point.

I need to put a soft start on the B+, when I turn my amps on, the filament being long and poorly supported moves twords the plate as it warms and poof, fil to grid short and lot's of sparks.

On the lipids, I took part in a med study, had my total number below 100. When the study ended, tried Lipitor, and it elevated creatine leves, not good. So diet for me, and I'm at the high end of the acceptable range, and it aint going lower. My doc does not recomment meds. so whatever, statins help a lot of folks, they also kill a few as well.

Ron
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

Senior Hostboard Member
    OT: Show us your DIY tube amps

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RonSSS View Post
    Tell me more about the PSVane toobs. Anyone know if the low cost line parts are tough? I lost 2 more Svets and am down to mono at this point.
    I bought the low cost line for my 300B monoblocks. I need 8 total so $300 ea was not in the cards for me for the primos. The HiFi ones look pretty good construction-wise:

To quote the designer of my amps: Fully 99% of the sonic characteristics reside in the design. Circuit topology controls everything. The designer manipulates inter-stage impedances, time constants, signal headroom, feedback and many other parameters to achieve a desired result.

I tend to agree with this. I'm not a believer in designer caps, argon treated wire or any other audio hocus-pocus. I believe in a well designed circuit that will perform properly with a reasonable range of component tolerances.

I got matched quads for my new project, but he says that's not even necessary.
    Last edited by alancohen; May 30th, 2013 at 05:52 AM.

Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

With a properly designed output stage, I believe the input and driver tubes make more of a difference. I've been called a liar a cheat and a scoundrel, so save your breath. To me, the input tube sets the stage for what happens in the whole amp. Change output tubes and go "wow, I never heard that before". Change input tubes and say " Wow, my amp sounds completely different". Subtle but significantly different.
    Output tubes are pretty much locked in by the O/P tranny and available voltage/current. The sound doesn't change that much, just the power available.

Senior Hostboard Member gortnipper's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zelgall View Post
    With a properly designed output stage, I believe the input and driver tubes make more of a difference. I've been called a liar a cheat and a scoundrel, so save your breath. To me, the input tube sets the stage for what happens in the whole amp. Change output tubes and go "wow, I never heard that before". Change input tubes and say " Wow, my amp sounds completely different". Subtle but significantly different.
    Output tubes are pretty much locked in by the O/P tranny and available voltage/current. The sound doesn't change that much, just the power available.
    I agree with most of what you say. But, I have to disagree that output tubes doesnt change the sound that much.

I have (and have had) both high and low spec amps - factory built, DIY, and a Sun Audio kit thats looks pro-built with hi-spec parts. I tend to run a variety of input tubes to find that "wow" factor you speak of. Yes, "significantly different".

In all of these amps I have noticed the same "wow" and "significantly different" presentation factor when changing the output tubes.

For example, I have Svetlana and JJ I run in a low/mid spec DIY 300B amp (parts wise - but a very interesting circuit)- there is a significant difference. More "wow" with the latter than the former.

I have Sovtek, RCA and EML mesh-plate 2A3 I run in the Sun Audio amp. I get the worst sound (but not bad at all) out of the Sovtek. With the EML, well, words cannot really express how much better the music is through my 604s. "Significant" is nowhere near expressive enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RonSSS View Post

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/226843-budget-300b-tubes-recommendations.html
    Last edited by gortnipper; May 29th, 2013 at 11:55 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alancohen View Post

FWIW, I don't drink or smoke.
    That's your problem right there.icon7

Good that your OK.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbale View Post
    That's your problem right there.icon7
    I know...right? I'm wondering why I ever bothered to quit smoking. If I'm pre-ordained by genetics for heart disease anyway, go out with a bang I say.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Job #1 of my unplanned vacation: Get my preamp kit built.

Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid kit:

Lot's of people build this P-P from scratch, but the kit is very reasonable at $499. It's just a no fuss, no frills great sounding preamp. Rumor has it it's hard to find a better preamp for 4X the price. I'm running one now and need this one for my 604-based system.

If you put you ear up to the computer, you can probably hear Miles and JC noodling in the background.

- - - Updated - - -

One part, one soldering joint at a time...

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Preamp board complete: