I've been an avid music fan for a long time. Only in the last few years have I begun to pay more attention to my equipment. The more I read, the more I realize I don't know (and probably never will). Anyway, for the past couple of years I've had ADS 1290II's as my main speakers. This winter I bought a pair of Model 14's which I really enjoy, particularly that they sound good but different from the ADS speaks. I am looking into having the 14's recapped (I can't do that myself). My question concerns the woofers. My cones are pretty faded but otherwise seem to be in fine shape. Do people only recone when the woofers have rips, tears or other dings, or is it done to refresh parts that are 35 or so years old? I like how they sound now.

Is there any consensus on what people prefer as far as replacement caps? Do people generally replace the inductors when recapping (I don't really know what they are but the guy I am speaking to asked if I was planning on replacing them also). My knee jerk reaction is to be conservative in changes to the speakers.