Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have a set of Altec 511B horns driven by 808-8B drivers and a set of 421-8lF 15" drivers that have been sat in my basement for about 15yrs.

Is there anything special to starting to use them again, or do I just plug them into my amplifiers and start using them? I always bi-amped them and used them for about 1979, when I bought them until 1985, when I moved.

They are housed in a copy of the 828H box dimensionally, but made to fit into a corner. So at around 5' high and sticking out a couple of feet, they didn't really fit the new house.

I was going to start using them again i nhte basement, again bi-amped, but didn't want to spoil anything.

Advice and hints will be most welcome.

Cheers, Ian

SDB

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Ian.
    Your 511's and 808-8B's are fine to use right away if:
    1. They have been stored in a dry place, no damp type atmoshere, and no high humidity. If this is not the case, then you need to open the HF drivers up, and look for corrosion, oxidizing, or just look for any green looking sprinkles inside. Hopefully you will see no rust! That would be bad.

If the HF drivers were mine that have set that long, I would open them up, and if they look as they used to, I would still remove the aluminum diaphram very "gingerly", and inspect the gap that the HF diaphram voice coil were seated in. If anything, I would use the Altec recommended use of masking tape placed into the gap to remove any metical particles or dust.
    Otherwise if all looks good under the cap on the HF driver, I bet it will work just like it did 15 years ago. I do recommend the inspection and cleaning of the driver as stated above.

As to the woofers 421's. If cone movement is good when moving them a little back and forth by hand, and you hear no "scraping", then they are probably allright. It won't hurt them to "fire them up". However the atmosphere conditions that these woofers were stored in through the years may cause some problems unless these woofers were in a dry place.

Thanks,
    Al (AL-TEC)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Al,
    thanks. They have been in a dry basement, so the worst that they have seen is dust. The Tech Instruction sheet shows the diaphragm replacement and mentions your masking tape method of cleaning, so I will do as you suggest and open them up. Since the LF drivers are dusty also, I will try cleaning around them also without actually touching them. The centre moves without rubbing.

The Christmas project has been established!

Cheers, Ian