Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

HeathKit AS101's in the house!

So after playing around with my 511b horns and 908 drivers using my Klipsh Heresy's as the low end I knew I wanted the real deal. Yea, I know, that wasn't a great combination but it's what I had on hand. LOL
    So I worked out a deal with a fellow on BarterTown (AK forum). Traded a spare tube amp and some cash for a set of HeathKit AS101 speakers. Pretty much Valencia copy's. Wow, what a difference from the Heresy's, bigger sound, REAL BASS and super smooooooth. I always kind of knew that the tweeter horn in the Heresy wasn't really integrated well into that speaker but I loved the sound of the mid range horn. My Mac MC40 monoblocks drive them with authority, these are the best speakers I've had on those amps.
    The fellow has already recapped one speaker with Solen and Jantzen caps and gave me the parts to do the other one.
    But right now I'm just enjoying them, I'll tear into them later. I'll be back later with questions about driver upgrades. I do have a set of 908 drivers and some brand new aluminum diaphragms from GPA sitting here. Can these get even better?

BillWojo
    Last edited by BillWojo; August 5th, 2016 at 11:25 PM.