Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: New Altec lover

Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    Its good you got them all sorted out. You will appreciate how the new caps sound too. I used Jantzen 18uf in my n801. What kind did you get?
    I got the same Janzen 18uf.
    I'm wondering if the top wire of the inductor is wired to post #5 then also wrapped to post #4. Which is where the positive side of binding post is also wired to, is bad. That would kill the whole speaker. I hope that's not the case, i can't get any reading off it, but if it is, is there a replacement? Or do I have to buy air coils?
    Ugh.
    Thanks again guys
    Last edited by Petro; November 13th, 2016 at 12:35 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm looking at a pair of 604e super duplex. I can get a good deal because they are in the middle of nowhere and local pick up only. Luckily my friend lives 2 hours from there. They are in good shape with decent cabinets and xovers look new.
    Of course I'd have to sell off my a7 for parts and wasted $200 and my time building these cabinets. and my model 15's would have to sell as well to get them. But I'm ok with it if I get something awesome. Any thoughts?

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I wouldn't sell my A7's for a pair of 604. I was in the same position as you a while back. I ended up buying 604G one at a time. There are killer deals on the Urei 604G. One has been sitting at 350$ on ebay.

Anyways how much are they asking for the 604e pair? I see more of those on ebay than any other 604. If you can get the pair for way less than a grand I would save up for them.

I think the A7 speakers are overall a better speaker than the 604. Thats not to say the 604 are not also good (thats why I got a pair). They are just good at different things.

Every Altec enthusiast needs at least 2-3 pairs of Altec

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Every Altec enthusiast needs at least 2-3 pairs of Altec
    The dedicated enthusiast has difficulty coming up with a firm number, or remembering where they all are.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petro View Post
    I'm looking at a pair of 604e super duplex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petro View Post
    But I'm ok with it if I get something awesome. Any thoughts?
    'Awesome' is only in the ears of the beholder of course, so all I can say is that all speakers are a collection of trade-offs and the fewer, smaller the components, the greater the number.

Factor in that single drivers, co/tri-axes were designed for nearfield recording studio, radio broadcast monitors back when the widest available broadcast/cinema recorded response was only ~100-5 kHz/~75-7 kHz and AFAIK what the 4 ft [much later, 1 m] on axis efficiency/sensitivity measurement reference was created for as opposed to the much longer distance EIA one for prosound; consequently, the 604s and its many variants really aren't all that well suited for modern day HIFI/HT apps except in relatively nearfield apps where only multiple driver Synergy concept horns can sound as a single point source and even then ideally need the larger horn, lower XO point of the original duplex to get the best overall horn/woofer summation.

Having only extensive time with a single original in a large horn cab and later a 604E in various cabs including an 825 cab at a time when I knew little more of the technical side of audio than having a good ear and been raised on a lot of live acoustic and amplified music for reference with the former and fairly advanced technically with the latter; the original was much more life-like overall, revealing all the 'warts' of amplified PA, recorded music whereas the E [don't remember a 'Super'] was much more mellow, 'forgiving', so in retrospect not surprised the quick switch to a much smaller WG/higher XO point Vs the much more expensive multicell horn system and long term studio, consumer small room preference.

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes I hear you guys, my house is small so I was thinking 604e would be better suited for my situation. They are not that great of a deal. Would still be well over $1000. But I also remember how good that 511b sounded hooked into my model 15's last week. New caps are on the way, I still need to get them running this week and give them a good testing, and I also need some dampening for the back panel as well. I just see the prices they are asking for 604's and figured there is a reason why.
    Thanks again

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Contrary to popular opinion, short of a ~nearfield app, the smaller the room the larger a horn must be to control directivity to a lower frequency and one reason why the 511 sounds so good in your small room, so the choice then is whether the 604's somewhat compromised single point source presentation trumps the dynamics, 'big' sound of a large mid horn multi-way.

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Contrary to popular opinion, short of a ~nearfield app, the smaller the room the larger a horn must be to control directivity to a lower frequency and one reason why the 511 sounds so good in your small room, so the choice then is whether the 604's somewhat compromised single point source presentation trumps the dynamics, 'big' sound of a large mid horn multi-way.

GM

Very interesting, I never knew that. Thanks again!

Looks like the caps are not going to be here for a bit. I think I chose the slowest shipping available. The one where the guy walks to my house with them. So I got the model 15's back in for now. These little speakers sound great.

I routed some slots in a couple 5" 3x3's and dropped the back of the horn in it. Put a rubber pad on the bottom. Made a small sled for the front and bolted the horn to it. So now I can move the horn around. Ready to go , except caps, paint and stain.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

You're welcome!

Really?! Seems like S. Jersey would put you in the 'thick' of things. Use to get up to Cherry Hill fairly regularly in the '80s and it made 'Hotlanta' seem like 'Hicksville' in comparison.

GM

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    You're welcome!

Really?! Seems like S. Jersey would put you in the 'thick' of things. Use to get up to Cherry Hill fairly regularly in the '80s and it made 'Hotlanta' seem like 'Hicksville' in comparison.

GM
    Usually but they got here a week later. Not too bad. So I put new caps in, what a nightmare fitting them in there. I had to extend the wires on the ends just didn't reach no matter how I tried to put them in. And still nothing to the LF.o n the same xover. No reading. I guess it's the inductor now. Always something with this damn build.
    Anybody have an extra inductor to sell me? I'd hate to go air core and change them all. If so I'm gutting these xovers for parts and making new boards. With these faceplates.