Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Re: Altec 604 cabinet design considerations

Quote Originally Posted by Twodawgz View Post
    And be sure the bass port is large enough to get your dishes into and out of the cabinet.
    must be an out of work twitter bot.
    Sonic Barbarian

Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

i'm willing to spend exoberant amounts on drivers but also willing to buy cheap lumber to house them.. osb is junk

- - - Updated - - -

i bought 50myr old speakers band put them in cabinets that wont last ten yrs

- - - Updated - - -

let me just say the thread started out onn the righ path with reclaimed seasoned hardwood joiner planer cabinet makers need work too and in the end one ends up with something worth something ' in the long run
    "those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rogerh113 View Post
    Hello,

Thanks for all of the input so far, things are very much coming together on the design. There are 2 more aspects that are not eminent, but useful for me to understand, and input would be helpful.

1) Speaker cloth / grills ?? I would guess that no matter how 'good' it will have an impact on the sound. I am in a situation where the speakers will be exposed to fairly bright, indirect light, so speaker cloth stretched across the face of the speaker would take the brunt of that rather than the cones. I have also heard (perhaps urban myth), that the grills will keep bugs and such out of the horn portion of the speaker. Insight appreciated.

2) Cabinet stuffing. Is there a clear winner in this category?? It seems that there are several popular ones. I assume they are all a bit different, so it probably matters. Perhaps application specific?

thanks again -- Roger
    Greets!

Must not have seen this originally, but before going further..........what's the status since it's now on the 'slippery slope' of 6 yrs late?
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member rogerh113's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Here is the finished product, or at least one of the two. Been enjoying them very much for a while now, and very much worth the effort. Used recycled blue jean insulation from Home Depot inside - works very well, and pretty much completely natural.altec finished cab.JPG

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345