0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: GM-416-8B MLTL Corner Cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoHeretic View Post
    Hi Sri,
    1) Yes GM's original 45 degree design offers the least intrusion into the room as it is rotated (I think).

2) I have worked for a short time in a cabinet shop, so I am biased towards the most complex shape possible. However, if this is your first build, a rectangle will be simplest and the 45 degree next.

3) A plain rectangle will work fine, but in my experience with a similar width room, spaced as wide as I can get them is best for me. I will draw it up and post it so you can see.

Here are my 28"x42" rectangular speakers in my room, I actually have to pull them out into my room so that they line up in an arc with my center channel:

Thanks VolvoHeretic. Looking at all various versions, though it is my first build and might be bit of a challenge I can go with GM's 45 degree. I am ready to roll! Next step is to understand the inside bracing, I will look forward to inputs/advice.

Thanks a lot.

-Sri

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by srivenkat View Post
    Option 1 - Curved Cabinet ? Tough one! I won?t be able to build this myself.

Greets!

Gotten kind of behind and still short of time, so just a ~ quick note........ don't start 'burning' wood yet except to do the baffle since I've more to post WRT the whole curved/tapered/bracing subject and don't forget that the 811 ideally needs to be set back in a recess along with its foam inserts same as the M19's to use its XO, which I didn't see shown.

Trust me, anybody with the ability to use a few basic hand tools can do a curved [ML]TL.

Anyway, thanks all for the great tutorial help, input, for this project and especially for future reference!

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Does anyone have a 811 exposed that they could measure for me? I know the flange width and height and also the overall length, but I need to know the height of the horn mouth and its width in front of the flange. I have a 511 and tried to scale it down, but I don't trust the dimensions.
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoHeretic View Post
    Does anyone have a 811 exposed that they could measure for me? I know the flange width and height and also the overall length, but I need to know the height of the horn mouth and its width in front of the flange. I have a 511 and tried to scale it down, but I don't trust the dimensions.
    Hope this helps. -Sri
    811B-Measurement.jpg

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Wonder why it's so far off from the drawing that me and no doubt hundreds around the world used way back when and were a 'drop-in' fit.

GM

Hostboard Member
    GM-416-8B MLTL Corner Cabinet

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Trust me, anybody with the ability to use a few basic hand tools can do a curved [ML]TL.
    GM
    Greg, what curved design do you have in mind. Might be worth doing a drawing and saving here, for posterity and all that....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

In the fullness of time and more importantly, VolvoHeretic's continuing assistance........... today, it's replace a worn out, beat to crap mailbox/post and rearrange the yard's mid-calf deep, mass blanketing of leaves/dead limbs. Our drought and increasing winds combined with record low humidity has us in a fire RED alert, so with five large/tall trees overhanging the house and increasing breeze up here on the the hill........

GM

Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool Re: GM-416-8B MLTL Corner Cabinet

In the fullness of time and more importantly, VolvoHeretic's continuing assistance........... today, it's replace a worn out, beat to crap mailbox/post and rearrange the yard's mid-calf deep, mass blanketing of leaves/dead limbs. Our drought and increasing winds combined with record low humidity has us in a fire RED alert, so with five large/tall trees overhanging the house and increasing breeze up here on the the hill........

GM
    You mean....you're busy......

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Wonder why it's so far off from the drawing that me and no doubt hundreds around the world used way back when and were a 'drop-in' fit.

GM
    the world just keeps getting bigger
    Sonic Barbarian