Thread: Difference between 802C vs 802D

jmyres

Difference between 802C vs 802D

Does anyone know what the difference is between an 802C vs D? They appear to look identical, but I haven't been able to find much info on the 802C.

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Re: Difference between 802C vs 802D

I had one of each recently. Both were green. I couldn't see any difference between the two. Maybe there were some construction differences early on? I know later the 802D were painted black

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Early 802C will be in gray krinkle paint with 20275 diaphragm, those are worth premium.

Later 802C will have green hammertone paint, a large waterslide decal, and 20275 diaphragm.

802D are all green with a small foilcal, some early ones may have had 20275's, but i think most came with 34852 phragms.

They're all 16 ohm.

Black paint is later and from 8 ohm systems. In my world an 802-8D is not an 802D. 802D should always be green and 16 ohms.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I should have mentioned that mine did not have original diaphragms. Bowtie is spot on about the decals.

I look at it more from the construction standpoint. When I listened to the 802c and 802d with the same diaphragm they sounded identical

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

There's no rhyme or reason for them to bring that kind of money. A little patience will easily buy a nice pair for 200-400, 500 for the nicest cleanest pair you ever saw would be about the top of the game. The only reason to pay more would be to show off your wealth and stupidity at the same time.

Nice clean singles sell for 100-125. If i had to own a pair, that's the only way i would buy them. 1500 is not even justifiable. At 1500 for a pair of compression drivers, they will need to be something much further up the ladder than small format Altec.

You'll be hard pressed to find a pair any nicer than this, and being that we're heading into peak price season they are , IMO, at least a hundred bucks over the top of what anybody should pay:

Pair of Altec Lansing 802D Horn Drivers, VOTT Alnico with Original Diaphragms NR | eBay
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Senior Hostboard Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Those prices are un-freakin' believable. What can possibly be the motive for paying $1500/plus for a pair of 802d drivers? I just don't get it. Sitting just beside me now I have two identical early green drivers with original diaphragms attached to their original 511b matching horns. Total investment: less than $200. If this is the direction that prices are headed for these components, I feel quite fortunate for having purchased mine three or four years or ago. I could have never entered the Altec products hobby at those prices.

GeeDeeEmm