I?ve played thru a few simple design old school single ended tube guitar amps. IMO they can have a sweet clean tone that responds well to pick dynamics with a satisfying sheen to the notes. I?m thinking a SE type tube circuit might sound very good driving my Santiago?s 806s.

Obviously HiFi amps have a different design intent but I?ve been reading about how simple low power SE amps could couple nicely with high sensitivity horn loaded drivers.

I grabbed this from another thread which has got me thinking more about using single ended tube amps to drive my HF:

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
True, but compression horns want to 'feel' a matching impedance, so 2a3, 300b or similar SET tube amp for the HF, class A or A/B SS if at least the 1st 10 W is class A is about the best one can hope for without resorting to a monster low output impedance tube amp in its own Frigidaire for the woofer.

GM
Would a SE tube amp without negative feedback provide a better impedance match for compression horns? Or does it matter as long as it?s class A? I?m asking to determine if I should focus on SE amps without NFB.

I would be interested to know if anyone has used reasonably priced SE triode/pentode amps with Altecs and did they live up to your expectations.

Thanks,

Greg