Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: OT, ....New Capaciitor Type.............. for AUDIO Use....

Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: OT, ....New Capaciitor Type.............. for AUDIO Use.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Be very careful, fakes are rampant in China. No I don't believe an eBay seller has more buying power than a major electronics vendor. Nothing legit has a 1000 percent markup these days.
    Thanks for the warning .

Hes in the Netherlands, not China, and this guy is a really GOOD guy. We have spoken religion together, and I pretty much now know precisely where he comes from Old Guy. Look at all the auctions he sponsors at any given time !!

I have a feeling he got a supply of ARCOTRONICS when the company folded, or was bought-out by KEMET in recent times.

The 5 uFs at 1200 VDC are really something else, have never experienced anything like them before in audio and music playback.

Am excited WIMA makes GTOs, but I have layed in a supply of these for my needs, future.

Jeff Medwin....Low Ohms.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Boli46;1973719]
    Quote Originally Posted by LowOhms View Post

So you're just guessing. Right. Perhaps you should wait until you are better informed before you spread your "wisdom" on this forum. Anyway, a comparison between a 10 uF cap and a 5 uF cap doesn't seem very useful to me.
    I have ordered a fair number of the 5 uF Arcotronics and a few 2 uF Rifa PHG491 caps, but I will certainly not waste my time comparing them.

Hi !!

Please share your experiences with them, once you sort it out.

It took me over a year, to get a handle on them. Thanks.

Jeff Medwin

Senior Hostboard Member
    OT, ....New Capaciitor Type.............. for AUDIO Use....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Thanks for the warning .

Hes in the Netherlands, not China, and this guy is a really GOOD guy.

Jeff Medwin

Seriously? Are you that naive?

Fake merchandise can wind up anywhere in the world.

Good people get ripped off too. Did you see anywhere where I claimed he would sell them if he knew they were fake?

None of your information refutes my main point- 10 cents on the dollar should raise a red flag. You are talking to someone who makes a good portion of his income buying and selling electronics.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Seriously? Are you that naive?

Fake merchandise can wind up anywhere in the world.

Good people get ripped off too. Did you see anywhere where I claimed he would sell them if he knew they were fake?

None of your information refutes my main point- 10 cents on the dollar should raise a red flag. You are talking to someone who makes a good portion of his income buying and selling electronics.

Old Guy, ........................... 7-19-2017

Your posts up here, concerning if something is fake or real, due to pricing, OBSCURES the main gist of my posting.

The main thing people should get out of this thread is : we have a NEW type of Industrial Capacitor, that can be beneficially applied to audio circuits, and it very uniquely has a 1,500 AMPERE PEAK INSTANTANEOUS current capability.

In my opinion, the subjective sonic results of this device will bring any and all high fidelity systems to a new and higher plateau of performance, to varying degrees, based on the user’s SYSTEM implementation..

The sonic result was best-described by the first person, an audiophile in Arizona, who copied my own implementation…….He said to me … “ It GETS the leading edge, of all of music’s transients, from the bass on up, that we have NEVER heard before ”.

This has ALSO been the actual result in 2017's testing, in all four additional person’s audio systems, where I instigated them to use these caps . In Post #2 of this thread, Willie reported " they are the BOMB ".

These folks, intelligently employed and critically listened to them. ( So far, four out of the five persons, upon hearing them in their system, ordered extra units, for further applications in their home hi fi – in their amps and crossovers. ) Two have posted on this thread.

It has become very evident to me now, after employing these experimentally in my ALTEC system ( DIY direct coupled two stage amps / DIY VOTT crossovers ) since 4-2016, that the entire audio world is unaware of the need for high peak-instantaneous-current devices, in our favored audio pieces.

Likely so, because, these caps did not always exist, and so, NO ONE has ever heard what this can do, and what it actually does do - for music playback !!

If people have any questions, as to how to best employ these, I am only an amateur, but I would do my best to assist, based on my own direct experiences thus far.

Best wishes, to you all,

Low Ohms……Jeff Medwin

PS:

As of yesterday, I THINK the Netherlands seller, John, has only about 50 pieces of these 5 uFs at 1200 VDC ARCOTRONICS caps left. Some will have “ non-impeding ” cosmetic issues. Up to 5, or up to 12 pieces, are the same flat shipping cost.

Their ESR is rated at 1.3 milliohm at 100 khZ.

He also tells me he has 2,000 VDC rated ones, same uF value I believe. I never heard those.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=SD-50;1973708]
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Which were?

GM

GE and several other American brands bought surplus. The PIO replaced Solens which I found to have a grainy texture to the sound, if that makes any sense.
    Cheers
    Yes SD-50, IME, IMHO, its EASY to beat Solen films, they are low low low on the list - sound quality wise, as to whats available now a days.

Also, IME, IMHO, easily.......there is NOT a PIO in existence, or any other cap I am aware of for that matter, that will do what these GTOs we use, will do in any optimized system !! No way, Jose !

Jeff Medwin....Low Ohms.
    Last edited by LowOhms; July 19th, 2017 at 12:55 PM.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Your ego is showing- you care more about your evangelistic posts than if someone gets ripped off.

And BTW anything not Altec specific is off topic.

Senior Hostboard Member drummerwill's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorry to disappoint O.G., But I just purchased 5 more GTO caps at about $7.50 a piece + shipping.
    from our friend in the Netherlands.

I'm not worried about getting ripped off .... I've heard these caps ........ I'm getting mine
    while I can still afford them !

Willie
    "And the beat goes on"<br /> Willie

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

The main thing people should get out of this thread is : we have a NEW type of Industrial Capacitor, that can be beneficially applied to audio circuits, and it very uniquely has a 1,500 AMPERE PEAK INSTANTANEOUS current capability.
    This reminds me of a scene in a classic sci fi flic

The scene starts about 8:00 for those who want to cut right to it.

Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drummerwill View Post
    Sorry to disappoint O.G., But I just purchased 5 more GTO caps at about $7.50 a piece + shipping.
    from our friend in the Netherlands.

I'm not worried about getting ripped off .... I've heard these caps ........ I'm getting mine
    while I can still afford them !

Willie
    You are confusing me with Jeff- he's the one disappointed when anyone disagrees with his posts. I really don't care. But then I don't claim I'm the only one who can tell you something either.

Glad you are happy with your purchase- but your snide remarks should be beneath you.

I tried to make a professional post. You and Jeff do not.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    This reminds me of a scene in a classic sci fi flic

The scene starts about 8:00 for those who want to cut right to it.

I watched that on svengoulie.
    Sonic Barbarian

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Old Guy,

Something to think about. I just reviewed this thread, and find your use of words, that attack others - me, and Willie who also posted, as being horriffic, judgemental and totally uncalled for.

Willie and I were / are totally polite to you.

And you are telling us " you make professional posts!! " Come on.

Some of your offensive ( to me ) personal - words are as follows :

" Naive, ego showing, evangelistic. and snide. "

QUIT judging and attacking people, and if you want to post in this thread, discuss the topic, which is a new type of capacitor, industrial, that we are applying to audio, and trying to share NEW information freely with other ALTEC users on this Forum.

Please be more considerate, henceforth, as to what you post and what you say about other persons .

Thank you very much.

Jeff Medwin.....Low Ohms.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Old Guy,

Something to think about. I just reviewed this thread, and find your use of words, that attack others - me, and Willie who also posted, as being horriffic, judgemental and totally uncalled for.

Willie and I were / are totally polite to you.

And you are telling us " you make professional posts!! " Come on.

Some of your offensive ( to me ) personal - words are as follows :

" Naive, ego showing, evangelistic. and snide. "

QUIT judging and attacking people, and if you want to post in this thread, discuss the topic, which is a new type of capacitor, industrial, that we are applying to audio, and trying to share NEW information freely with other ALTEC users on this Forum.

Please be more considerate, henceforth, as to what you post and what you say about other persons .

Thank you very much.

Jeff Medwin.....Low Ohms.
    Bullcrap. You are extremely evangelistic and in total denial about it.
    drummerwill's remarks were absolutely snide, I just pointed out he should be above such. I said nothing to him previously.

If anything his post suggesting I would be happy he got ripped off was WAY out of line. Its much closer to an attack than anything I said.

And you turn any criticism into a personal attack.
    Got news for you, I have contributed to this group WAY longer than you. And if criticism is deserved it will happen. Once you post to a public forum you no longer own the post. Stop acting like you do.