Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: just got early unknown A7 type system

  1. #1
    Hostboard Member kipduff's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 4th, 2015
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    67
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    just got early unknown A7 type system

    These were just gifted to me- I've only seen the attached two pictures texted to me. My sincere apologies for posting a picture of a sectional horn painted gold. My belief is that the quality of original Altec paint will withstand application of acetone or laquer thinner which I will promptly use to remove the offending paint. I will be motoring north to Bay area tomorrow to pick up. To me, the cabinets appear to definitely not be Altec- kinda gross. But I'm pretty sure the drivers are Altec. Based on the logo on the attenuation panel, late 50's/early60's? Looks like 511 horn. Any idea what vintage?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: just got early unknown A7 type system

    My sincere apologies for posting a picture of a sectional horn painted gold.
    Why?

    Who's offended besides you?

    Altec painted plenty of horns gold.

    The horn is a 311-90.

    I would not call the cabinet an "A7 type". An A7 system uses a cabinet with a constrained throat mid-bass horn.

    What is shown does not have a constrained throat, enough horn length, or enough mouth area to even begin to do what an A7's 825 or 828 cabinet does.

    All that said, i'd like to know more about the design and execution, it is not a "slapped together" effort. Somebody took some time and had a definite plan they were working from.

    Let's see some internal pics.
    Last edited by bowtie427ss; September 5th, 2017 at 06:22 AM.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: just got early unknown A7 type system

    Wow, with a 311-90 horns, those are interesting.

    Maybe those are some kind of midrange/midbass cabs that are meant to be run with a separate tweeter and subwoofer?

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: just got early unknown A7 type system

    Wonder if the woofer is a 515?

    Sort of a Valencia using A5 components.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: just got early unknown A7 type system

    Anybody know why i can't go back and edit my posts?

    I wanted the OP to see that Altec even painted early 414's gold.

    1

    They also made/painted gold cones for the 2000B tweeter.

    2
    Last edited by bowtie427ss; September 5th, 2017 at 09:48 AM.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  6. #6
    Hostboard Member kipduff's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 4th, 2015
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    67
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: just got early unknown A7 type system

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    Why?

    Who's offended besides you?

    Altec painted plenty of horns gold.

    The horn is a 311-90.

    I would not call the cabinet an "A7 type". An A7 system uses a cabinet with a constrained throat mid-bass horn.

    What is shown does not have a constrained throat, enough horn length, or enough mouth area to even begin to do what an A7's 825 or 828 cabinet does.

    All that said, i'd like to know more about the design and execution, it is not a "slapped together" effort. Somebody took some time and had a definite plan they were working from.

    Let's see some internal pics.
    Yes- A7 may not be a good way to characterize. I meant that I believed (and was hoping) that these speakers have the components that are used in A7 and furniture/home cabinet versions like the Valencia- the familiar 511 or 811 horn, 15" low frequency driver, and 500 or 800Hz network. I will look up 311-90. Obviously will know more when I take the backs off the cabinets when I arrive tomorrow- and will post pics as soon as I can process them to the 97.7kb jpg size that is required here.

    I don't know much about the VOTT and associated components- only Altec products I've owned and researched are the 604's. But, I have always intended to get some type of A7/VOTT component variant speaker at some point in my life. My interest in these speakers is more for the components- not the cabinets. As you said, the LF throat walls are not curved- noticed that right off. Also, the foot print is large- difficult in my small listening room. My intent had been to build a cabinet with the general physical dimensions of a Valencia- or whatever is optimum in that size range. I like the appearence of industrial versions of Altec speakers- personally not as attracted to ornate, fancy furniture versions- but I have seen some I like a lot. I like the battleship-grey look of the VOTTs. Or plain look of well crafted after-market cabinet in clear-laquered baltic birch- plan to make a 612 or 620 for my 604's. It's true- I don't like the gold. I like the dark grey semi-gloss factory finish on most of the pictures of Altec horns that I've seen.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: just got early unknown A7 type system

    Quote Originally Posted by kipduff View Post
    Yes- A7 may not be a good way to characterize. I meant that I believed (and was hoping) that these speakers have the components that are used in A7 and furniture/home cabinet versions like the Valencia- the familiar 511 or 811 horn, 15" low frequency driver, and 500 or 800Hz network. I will look up 311-90. Obviously will know more when I take the backs off the cabinets when I arrive tomorrow- and will post pics as soon as I can process them to the 97.7kb jpg size that is required here.

    I don't know much about the VOTT and associated components- only Altec products I've owned and researched are the 604's. But, I have always intended to get some type of A7/VOTT component variant speaker at some point in my life. My interest in these speakers is more for the components- not the cabinets. As you said, the LF throat walls are not curved- noticed that right off. Also, the foot print is large- difficult in my small listening room. My intent had been to build a cabinet with the general physical dimensions of a Valencia- or whatever is optimum in that size range. I like the appearence of industrial versions of Altec speakers- personally not as attracted to ornate, fancy furniture versions- but I have seen some I like a lot. I like the battleship-grey look of the VOTTs. Or plain look of well crafted after-market cabinet in clear-laquered baltic birch- plan to make a 612 or 620 for my 604's. It's true- I don't like the gold. I like the dark grey semi-gloss factory finish on most of the pictures of Altec horns that I've seen.
    OK, let me put it this way.

    Those are something both special and unique.

    They inspire many questions that will be easily answered by some clear pics of the internal components when you can do that.

    I suspect you have something better than you were hoping for.

    311-90 is large format big brother to the 511, it takes a large format(288) driver.

    FWIW, i don't think anyone would take offense at stripping off the gold paint, or just re-spraying over them with something closer to the more common charcoal/gray we expect to see. The outside of the 311's is coated from the factory with damping compound, you probably don;t want to disturb that.

    and will post pics as soon as I can process them to the 97.7kb jpg size that is required here.
    You can host the images elsewhere full size and just post links here in the thread.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: just got early unknown A7 type system

    I'm curious to see what flavor of large format drivers are on those 311 horns. Wouldn't it be sweet if the cabs were loaded with 515b/288g


  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: just got early unknown A7 type system

    Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    I'm curious to see what flavor of large format drivers are on those 311 horns. Wouldn't it be sweet if the cabs were loaded with 515b/288g

    Having them given to you would be sweet.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  10. #10
    Hostboard Member kipduff's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 4th, 2015
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    67
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: just got early unknown A7 type system

    Wow. Steep learning curve ahead- didn't know about these many variations of VOTT related components. Been researching 311 horn, 288 HF driver, and 515 LF drivers- and their relationship to other VOTT related components that I'm more familiar with. Thanks for info guys- what a great resource. Looks like some serious luck has come my way.....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.