Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Re: Building sleds for Altec multicell horns

Turnbuckles were free. They came from a 737-400 that we are doing a P-F conversion on. They once held up the overhead baggage bins, but were going to be thrown away. I asked my boss if I could have a few. I get a lot of my hardware from discarded aviation parts.

Horns are 30146, throats are 30162, and adaptors are 21216. Its just the one horn throat that is slightly off. The other one fits fine.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Ah! Wish I still had my Lockheed 'connection'.

Hmm, no clue then other than try to match up the throat or just buy another one. Did you change your mind and will use 1" drivers?

GM

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Better though to use a test signal to do it. There's an instruction doc, but was surprised to not find it on any of the Forum's various 'libraries'.
    Found!: https://audioroundtable.com/misc/Altec_AN-9.pdf

https://web.archive.org/web/20050206...ages/phase.pdf

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I'll try swapping the throats around and see if I can find a sweet spot.

I need to get some new phragms for my 291c drivers. Until then I will use some Emilar EA175 drivers I have sitting idle.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I found the mounting holes for the throat on the one horn to be slightly off. The throat didn't quite match up with it regardless of how I flipped it. I slightly elongated the holes on the throat with a hand file. Now it fits perfect.

The 1"-1.4" adaptors also fit like crap. I had to wiggle them around a bit to get them right.

What is interesting to me, is that these were used with 1" drivers. Seems like if these really came from Market Square Arena, they would have used large format drivers.

All the hardware is oxidized the same, and leads me to believe that these pieces have been together for a long time

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

The longer the horn, the longer its 'throw' over a narrower arc and the smaller its throat, the higher its frequency response, so apparently they were either located relatively far away and/or were meant to fill a dip/hole in the sound power response's HF.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I can't tell from the pics I have seen, if any 805's were installed in the center cluster of the arena. I would assume, besides the cluster, they had other horns hung around the building.

The paint on these is good enough, that I think they were installed inside the building.

In a separate thought, any idea where I can get the rubber gaskets that are used on the Altec large format drivers? The thick ones between the driver and horn.
    Or what can I use instead?

I see them available for about 15$ shipped for a pair on ebay. They are like 25 cent parts. There has to be another way!
    Last edited by Elitopus1; September 16th, 2017 at 09:31 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

GPA?

Don't ever remember them as anywhere near $0.25 even in the '60s, but here's a manufacturer @ $4/ea, so may be cheaper delivered, though curious if they meet Altec's durometer, etc., specs: Altec Lansing Horn Driver Gasket 21270 .125 Thick 288, 290, 291, 299 and 906 | Task audio

Then again, here's an advertised [1] pc. consisting of a [2] pk. for $7.25+$2.65 = $9.90 from the same manufacturer: Altec Lansing Horn Driver Gasket 21270 .125 Thick QTY 2 288, 290, 291, 299, 906 | eBay

Me being me though, I'd try a small and large O-ring.

GM

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

FYI: Question on Gaskets for 288 Drivers and 1005b Horns Don't miss post #7(bfish).
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I glanced at the 7.25$ one and thought it was for just one. I'll pay the less than 10 bucks for a pair. The same gaskets directly from the manufacturer cost 16$ shipped.

Of course when I get the new gaskets in, I'll probably find where I stashed the old gaskets

Interesting to know the different gasket styles on the large format drivers. I wish they were as easy to make as the small format driver gaskets. I have been using wax paper for those.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I finally got one of the 805 horns set up and running with my single 288G driver. It is on top of on of my 828 cabs and run through a Ashly active xover at 750hz. With the EQ comp turned on, this driver sounds as good as my 802s as far as HF, but with a much sweeter midrange.

I wish I could find another 288G with original diaphragm that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg. I'll just have to get GPA phragms for my 291C's and make them 288G's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast