Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Re: my A7s are up and running- and 416a magnet questions

I am also not a fan of the 511/811. I think the 811 is definitely the better horn of the bunch though

I think you can get the Emilar EH800 horns for cheaper if you give it some time. I have had a single for sale at 65$ locally, and have not had any offers. Probably if it was a pair, there might be more interest.

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

What would be an example of volume reducing? One way I thought of is to muont the horn in the port- though not many people seem to run them that way.

If your 828's have a full width motorboard that seals off the volume behind the curved horn flares, Altec already took the first volume reducing step. I have experimented a lot with varying thicknesses of fiberglass in the lower portion of the cabinet, and i know a fella that installed a false floor in his VOT boxes bringing the floor up approximately 6 inches internally. Not sure if that's where he ultimately stopped or not.

You can also put bricks, pavers, cement caps, etc. in the bottom to reduce volume and add a bit of mass loading.

Peruse the forum for some posts on mass loading by a former member "Low Ohms".

In your last paragraph, are you refering to various versions of 416- or a specific one?

I'm referring to the entire family of original alnico 416's, including their predecessor the 803B

Could you elaborate on the issue of 416A refurb vs GPA 416B new?

IMO, they will be close as the moving assemblies are going to be identical. The difference is in the magnetic return structure. 803B, 416A, 416-8A, and every other 416 preceding the 416B's introduction in 1974 uses a magnetic return structure made from steel pipe and plate welded together. The 416B introduced a new one-piece cast steel return structure. I can only assume that GPA builds their 416B with the same cast steel return structure which should render them identical in performance to an original 416B re-built with the same moving assembly as used in the new version.

After reading these forums (and my own hunches), the emerging info seems to be that a good running stock 416A- a 416A recone/regauss- and a GPA 416B are varying significantly.

I'm not sure "significantly" is an appropriate term, certainly not for all ears. Some folks won't hear any difference. Some folks will definitely detect a difference, though likely subtle. Yet another group of folks(count me in) will consider ANY AUDIBLE DIFFERENCE between two "same" drivers to be significant. It really is a "your mileage may vary" situation.

Wouldn't a recone use the same cone assy as a new GPA 416-16B?

That is a question for Bill/GPA. The answer likely is yes, but you should assume nothing. The cruxt is really a matter of practicality. There were so many changes and revisions of the original drivers over time that it wouldn't be practical, or even advisable to try to offer exact replacements for them all. My WAG is that Bill chose the best cone to be a universal replacement across all 416's.

If there might be any downsides/tradeoffs to using the GPA 416s, I curious to know what they are- and ways to consider mitigating. Since I don't have a good running original 416A (does anybody?), I'm at the fork in the road of refurb vs GPA new. If I want, I can use the GPA 416-16B shipping boxes to send the 416As in for refurb- then A/B. A good adventure regardless of final outcome.

I think there are actually advantages particularly where support into the future is concerned. If you damage a GPA 416, it can be repaired, EXACTLY for at least some time into the future. I just find them a little pricey for my budget/situation.

I have no problem being patient and sourcing a pair of broken Altec 416B, one at a time, and sending them off to GPA for re-build. If it fits your budget, and you want to commence a project immediately, the GPA 416 is a no-brainer.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Here is one of my Emilar on top of an 828 cab so you can see how nice they look

985129F1-A841-44D6-97F8-3DD4FF0B8985.jpg

Sorry for the small pic, I am still lost without photobucket

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    Here is one of my Emilar on top of an 828 cab so you can see how nice they look

985129F1-A841-44D6-97F8-3DD4FF0B8985.jpg

Sorry for the small pic, I am still lost without photobucket
    The 802 D bolts up to this horn without adapter or modifications?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kipduff View Post
    The 802 D bolts up to this horn without adapter or modifications?
    Yes, any 2 bolt driver with Altec spacing will fit this horn. The 802D is one of my favorite drivers to use on the EH800.

If you can ever snag a pair of EH500, those will need a 2?-1? adaptor.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like I should get some Emilar EH800s- definitely want to try them. Thing is, it will commit me to 800 Hz XO. Was leaning towards trying the Hiraga XO- but it appears to be 500Hz. Emilar with 515B in Altec 612 enclosures future project?

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

I'd love to offer more.................... Try posting on a reliable forum

But, i'm done dealing with the time outs and pages that fail to load on this piece of shit called "hostboard"

Fare thee well, mates!
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I am considering building the Hiraga crossovers for my multicells on my 828 cabs. I thought from what I have read it is more of a 600hz or 650hz xover. Still too high for the EH800. If you could find a pair of EH500 though...

I just recently bought a pair of EH500 after having a single for two years, and not finding a mate. Now they are waiting on a project.

I still don't understand how some 500hz horns are so big (like my 805b), and others are so small (like the EH500).

You could do what I do, and have different horns for different occasions

Senior Hostboard Member
    my A7s are up and running- and 416a magnet questions

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    I'd love to offer more.................... Try posting on a reliable forum

But, i'm done dealing with the time outs and pages that fail to load on this piece of shit called "hostboard"

Fare thee well, mates!
    I'm not having problems, even on my crappy laptop. When I do its when the memory bogs down or some inexplicable app starts running in the background.
    Sonic Barbarian

Junior Hostboard Member horndawg's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've tried to post twice during the last three days in this thread. No such luck. Perhaps the info could have been of use to the OP and others as well. This board really sucks - can't say that I blame Bowtie for being frustrated. Having your time wasted tends to piss you off.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast