Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: 414's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    414's

    Hey gang,

    I loaned my 414-8C woofers out of my 9849-8A monitors to a buddy who built a set of speaks with some other brand of 12" woofer.
    He does know Altec.
    And he loves them.

    I don't know the complete history of the 414.
    I "think" everything earlier then the -8C were stamped frame?
    All were alnico?
    The earlier versions having the pot magnet assy some with covers?

    I know the -8E is a ceramic magnet. I have one of those too.
    Anyway, I'm not giving up my mint -8C's. So if you all know where some more are, my buddy will be interested I'm sure.

    Ron
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: 414's

    AFAIK, all 414's used a cast frame. The early cast frames had curved spokes. 414z will be painted gold and have no magnet cover. 414A will be painted green with a can/cover over the motor. 414-16B/414-8B use the same motor in a newer style square spoked frame. 414-8C/16C use the one piece cast steel 416-8B type motor structure on the newer frame.

    It's possible some very early 414's may have used the stamped steel frame of the 600B, but i cannot find an example.

    IMO, the 414 "C" version produces the best midrange of any Altec woofer.

    4

    1fs20000

    5

    6
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: 414's

    I have a pair of 414-16b (same as pic 3) that I listen to every day. They are my favorite Altec woofer.

    Got them a few years ago in the off season for 100$ plus shipping. Since then I see prices have gone up a bit.

    I wouldnt hesitate to grab a pair of 416C if they came up for a decent price. A saved ebay search is probably a good way to find a pair.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    414's


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: 414's

    According to Bill 417s can be reconed as 414s. The 417 magnet is a bit stronger. But other than that its almost Identical. Don't quote me on this. I have a pair i m sending in to try soon. Well see.
    Sonic Barbarian

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: 414's

    The 417 magnet is a bit stronger.
    This will equate to limited LF response compared to 414. Compensation via mass added to the moving assembly could restore the LF at the cost of extension on the other end. There's never a free lunch.

    If i had a broken pair of 417's, i'd give strong consideration to sourcing a couple of 15 inch frames as cheaply as possible and using the 417 motors to build a proper pair of 416's, particularly in the case of 417H with the one piece cast return assembly. IMO, the end result will hold the most value.

    Anybody know what Bill get$ for a new 16 inch frame/basket?
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: 414's

    Anybody know what Bill get$ for a new 16 inch frame/basket?
    I am also interested in this. One of us should call him

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.