Thread: Best pair of Altec / GPA woofers.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Best pair of Altec / GPA woofers.

Looking to do a fresh build and using a pair of Altec woofers per enclosure. Question is which two would provide best overall sound from 50hz to 900-1000hz in a sane size box.
    Options I have been considering.
    416C
    The 12” woofers used in the Model 14 (surprisingly good)
    GPA 3154

There may be a better choice, but those are some of my personal favorites. I think Bill can use a heavy cone in the 416 that reduces need for a crazy huge box if I use a pair. But I wonder if it would loose midrange magic.

Seeking opinions. GM, Bowtie, Todd, Altec Best, you guys lurking around?
    I know if Zilch was still with us he would say JBL 2235?’s but They have a distinct house sound that the Altec?’s seem to have avoided. Looking for transparency in the mids with realistic kick drum & fender bass.

Thanks, Nick

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Talking Re: Best pair of Altec / GPA woofers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickd View Post
    Looking to do a fresh build and using a pair of Altec woofers per enclosure. Question is which two would provide best overall sound from 50hz to 900-1000hz in a sane size box.
    416C
    The 12? woofers used in the Model 14 (surprisingly good)
    GPA 3154

There may be a better choice, but those are some of my personal favorites. I think Bill can use a heavy cone in the 416 that reduces need for a crazy huge box if I use a pair. But I wonder if it would loose midrange magic.

Seeking opinions. GM, Bowtie, Todd, Altec Best, you guys lurking around?
    I know if Zilch was still with us he would say JBL 2235’s but They have a distinct house sound that the Altec’s seem to have avoided. Looking for transparency in the mids with realistic kick drum & fender bass.

Thanks, Nick

I'll leave it to others to answer your questions but it is just great to see your Altec related post after the blank-period.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Re: Best pair of Altec / GPA woofers.

In a 16 inch Altec, 416 will give you the best extension in the smallest box. My understanding is that Bill's 416's are refined to the point where they are the best of the 416's. Compared to alnico versions early Altec 416C's left a bit to be desired, a bit rolled off on the bottom and increasingly forward sounding as you go up giving them a sonic signature that's more like a ruggedized PA driver than a natural sounding woofer. While i have not heard them in my own systems and space, it's my understanding that Bill fixed all this with a re-designed motor.

Are you going to orient the woofers in a horizontal (aka rodspeaker) or vertical aspect?

I'm currently purging lots of odds and ends with the intent of a build somewhat similar to yours. I have a quad of Emilar EW15-8A's that i'll be using for woofers, Altec 291's on MR-594's for mids, and a pair of Selenium ST-320 slot tweeters in each cab to bring in the sparkle up top. I'm still kicking it all around, trying to decide on a vertical aspect, or building them in a modular fashion with the LF being a separate enclosure. I cannot afford the real estate for a rodspeaker sized footprint if i can help it. As i get older moving things becomes more of an issue, and a modular system is more easily handled with multiple smaller cabinets versus a single impossibly huge and heavy cabinet, we're talking over 100lbs per speaker just in raw components before adding any cabinet.

- - - Updated - - -

but it is just great to see your Altec related post after the blank-period.
    Amen brother!
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I am working with 14’6” of room width, so no Rod speakers for me either.
    Most likely stacked woofers with the horn on top.

I have not heard the MR594 horn. I also wouldn’t mind finding a pair of MR994 horns at a reasonable price.

I may need to call Bill and get his advice. The GPA 416 is a really nice driver indeed. Might be a good fit if the box volume is workable. I could go with one woofer I suppose. The M500 was supposed to be a very good speaker system, although I don’t think many people got a chance to hear them.

Senior Hostboard Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hearing of these two projects is exciting, to say the least. I hope you guys will grace us with a dedicated build thread with narrative and pics.

Nick, I take it that you've already read Bill's comments on the "heavy" cone 416 that was used in the Altec 9862 speakers sold in Japan. I think they called it the 416-8BD. Being able to achieve 40Hz F3 in 5 cubic feet is very enticing. (Though I was able to get 42Hz F3 in my last build using 416Zs in 6.5 cubic feet, knocking off another 1.5 cubes would have been a real boon.)

Bowtie, your last mention of the Emilar gear has thrown me into a fit of research on the products. I wanted to first get a pair of EA175 drivers to use in my next project, but I came across a pair of pristine EC175s at a price I couldn't pass up. According to Emilar's tech sheets on the two drivers, the specs are almost identical, the big difference being in the magnet type. I then came across an ebay auction for a pair of EH800 horns with 175 drivers for $100, but missed it by minutes.

I'm curious about your thoughts on their woofers. I've been watching auctions on the EW-15s, and they sell for amazingly low prices. With Altec prices having gone way out of my price range, I'm hoping that the Emilars may be the next great hope before they, too, begin to inflate as others take attention to them. I have two more 416s for future use, but I'd like to begin stocking up on Emilar gear while I have the chance. (Maybe contributing to the rise just by talking about them?) I'm thinking that my next build may consist of Emilar EW-15 (maybe a pair/side?), EA/EC175 mids, and Beyma CP21F super tweets (I've come to love these slotted horns. Too bad they are out of production.).

GeeDeeEmm

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Unhappy Re: Best pair of Altec / GPA woofers.

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Hearing of these two projects is exciting, to say the least. I hope you guys will grace us with a dedicated build thread with narrative and pics.

Nick, I take it that you've already read Bill's comments on the "heavy" cone 416 that was used in the Altec 9862 speakers sold in Japan. I think they called it the 416-8BD. Being able to achieve 40Hz F3 in 5 cubic feet is very enticing. (Though I was able to get 42Hz F3 in my last build using 416Zs in 6.5 cubic feet, knocking off another 1.5 cubes would have been a real boon.)

Bowtie, your last mention of the Emilar gear has thrown me into a fit of research on the products. I wanted to first get a pair of EA175 drivers to use in my next project, but I came across a pair of pristine EC175s at a price I couldn't pass up. According to Emilar's tech sheets on the two drivers, the specs are almost identical, the big difference being in the magnet type. I then came across an ebay auction for a pair of EH800 horns with 175 drivers for $100, but missed it by minutes.

I'm curious about your thoughts on their woofers. I've been watching auctions on the EW-15s, and they sell for amazingly low prices. With Altec prices having gone way out of my price range, I'm hoping that the Emilars may be the next great hope before they, too, begin to inflate as others take attention to them. I have two more 416s for future use, but I'd like to begin stocking up on Emilar gear while I have the chance. (Maybe contributing to the rise just by talking about them?) I'm thinking that my next build may consist of Emilar EW-15 (maybe a pair/side?), EA/EC175 mids, and Beyma CP21F super tweets (I've come to love these slotted horns. Too bad they are out of production.).

GeeDeeEmm

Commiserations on the Emilars. What a steal.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Seeking opinions. GM
    When it comes to wide BW woofers, the vintage 515s and similar rule IMNSHO, but it's my understanding that due to manufacturing cost considerations, there's little difference between the GPA 416, 515, so not having any 'hands on' experience with more modern woofers or any GPA products can only recommend the 416.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    I have a quad of Emilar EW15-8A's
    Greets!

Per chance do you have any [measured] specs to help out here? I have zero experience/knowledge beyond who designed it. : Emilar ew15-8a (altec style woofer) .? - diyAudio
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

416C
    The 12” woofers used in the Model 14 (surprisingly good)
    GPA 3154
    Thanks, Nick
    Hi Nick. Tried to PM you, but it evaporated somehow. Try to PM me when you get a chance.

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Greets!

Per chance do you have any [measured] specs to help out here? I have zero experience/knowledge beyond who designed it. : Emilar ew15-8a (altec style woofer) .? - diyAudio
    If i do, it's packed away somewhere ready for my pending move.

We ran them on the Smith-Larson WT analysis software, i'll keep looking but may have no luck until the un-packing begins in another month or two.

FWIW, my quad of woofers are actually EW15-8B's. The differences may only be cosmetic. But, they are substantial.

Not all vegetables make good leaders.