After I saw the ad the other day with the reveneered 620 cabs it got me to thinking about my 620 cabs. I got them a couple years ago for 25$ from eBay. They were stripped of the drivers and covers of course. The grills need to be recovered, and one of the grill frames is broken.

I kept them in storage for a while until I bought my Urei 604G pair. I filled the xover hole in the front with gutted 809 xovers since I run external Markwart xovers. Besides changing out the interior wiring for the drivers, I haven?t done anything to the cabinets.

The problem is the veneer is very dry on some sides. Like so dry that it?s rough. A couple bottom corners have been smashed slightly also. And there are some veneer chips here and there. I?m not sure how thick the veneer is, and I?m not sure it can be made to look nice again. Like sanded down and restained etc.

I?m not a huge fan of the oak veneer. I?m not a big oak fan at all, except that I love the way red oak firewood smells when I cut it.

I was thinking about reveneering then in birch or something of a similar grain. I have limited veneering experience, and that was all over plywood. With these cabs being particle board, should I bondo the bad corners and once everything is smooth just put the new veneer over the old veneer? Could I cleanly strip the old veneer off even if I wanted to without taking chunks of particle board up with it?

I?m getting the Urei woofers in these reconed, and I?ll fix and recover the grills. I just want the cabs to in better shape also. They have worked out well for my man cave speakers, but I think they can be much nicer.