Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Probably SOL - 604D

I had been casting about for an upgrade for my Empire 208/MX110/MC240 system. Right now that system is driving a pair of Klipsch Heresy IIs. Which admittedly do like the tubes.

I began to home in on a pair of 604Ds as a likely perfect match. However! There?s always a however. I just don?t think I have the space for them. This system is in my home office which is about 12x12 and the area where my system is would only support about 7.5 cu feet for each speaker. Short of the recommended 9.

So, as an alternative I started looking the 12? vintage Altecs. But they don?t seem to get much love. I?m not sure they would be all that much of an upgrade on the Heresy IIs.

Any advice, thoughts, good news, bad news?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Re: Probably SOL - 604D

Hmm, a little larger than the ~10x12 I'm typing in and back when it had a Radio Shack DIY two way horn/'prosound' 15" woofer speaker system it was too much vented, but plugged up and against a wall was pretty good in ~5 ft^3, but the woofer had a low 20s Fs, higher Vas, Qts, than the 604, so wound up packing the vent with drinking straws [some just 'stick a sock' in it] and fine tune it using the 'click' test: Click test: Click Test | GM210 | Flickr

So; make it as big as you can, then tune to actual Fs [when it's pretty much stationary and all output is from the vent] and if it's 'boomy', fine tune with the 'click' test or impulse response if you're set up for measurements/testing.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Junior Hostboard Member zbarbera's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Hmm, a little larger than the ~10x12 I'm typing in and back when it had a Radio Shack DIY two way horn/'prosound' 15" woofer speaker system it was too much vented, but plugged up and against a wall was pretty good in ~5 ft^3, but the woofer had a low 20s Fs, higher Vas, Qts, than the 604, so wound up packing the vent with drinking straws [some just 'stick a sock' in it] and fine tune it using the 'click' test: Click test: Click Test | GM210 | Flickr

So; make it as big as you can, then tune to actual Fs [when it's pretty much stationary and all output is from the vent] and if it's 'boomy', fine tune with the 'click' test or impulse response if you're set up for measurements/testing.

GM
    So, that's a no on the 412 or 601A? Because a 609 cabinet would be a good fit for the room. I considered 12" Tannoy Golds which would fit that cabinet nicely too. Also considered the AR3a, but if I got those they would probably be better suited the Marantz 2235/Marantz 250 setup.

If I do go 604D, the cabinet I build would probably be somewhere between a 612 and 614 utility cabinet. And then, like you say, try to get it tuned in to fit the room. I have a Mcintosh MQ101 but not sure the 604D could handle it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Well, IME the bicones are so-so with a small baffle mounted tweeter and fine if there's an 811 horn combo to go with it and the 601A has a horn with a very delicate microphone diaphragm that's long time now irreplaceable, so your call.

Curious, is there room to go taller?

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Curious, is there room to go taller?

GM
    Oh, plenty of room to go taller. 48" would be in reach

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

OK, great! What's your WxD max outside [o.d.] dims and seated ear height or at whatever height from the floor you will listen most? Is there anything limiting this size/shape WRT building/moving into place, i.e. doorways, stairs, relatively heavy weight?

GM

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OK, great! What's your WxD max outside [o.d.] dims and seated ear height or at whatever height from the floor you will listen most? Is there anything limiting this size/shape WRT building/moving into place, i.e. doorways, stairs, relatively heavy weight?

GM
    Right now I have Lane record cabinet with the amp on top in the middle of the space. In that configuration I could max out at around 17" wide and 15" deep. If that goes and I just put the amp on a platform I'd have an max around 20" wide and 16 deep.

I also noticed a cheap single 602a came up locally. I may make a low offer and make it into a mono speaker to play around with on the basement tube system. Think that would be fun.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

OK, need a little side wall 'breathing' room, so 18.5" W x 13.5" D x 46.5" H [i.d.] = ~6.72 ft^3 - ~0.33 [604] + a little bracing puts it ~ the prosound/studio monitor preferred 612's 6 ft^3 net, not the optimal ~9 ft^3, but big enough tune to 35-40 Hz [most common tuning] if against a wall and even to Fs if there's enough room gain with any windows, doors closed. wink

Still need to know the preferred ear height for driver location and forgot to ask what amp will be used.

Presume there's no other considerations..........

GM

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OK, need a little side wall 'breathing' room, so 18.5" W x 13.5" D x 46.5" H [i.d.] = ~6.72 ft^3 - ~0.33 [604] + a little bracing puts it ~ the prosound/studio monitor preferred 612's 6 ft^3 net, not the optimal ~9 ft^3, but big enough tune to 35-40 Hz [most common tuning] if against a wall and even to Fs if there's enough room gain with any windows, doors closed. 1

Still need to know the preferred ear height for driver location and forgot to ask what amp will be used.

Presume there's no other considerations..........

GM
    Now we're getting somewhere! The measurements I gave would include a good bit of space on the outsides.. Facing them on the right is a doorway and on the left is a door (to the sunroom) that opens toward the system. But, that's good, I'd rather not max the space.

This being my office system, I'm sitting pretty upright in an office chair. So, right around 45-47 inches. Amp is an MC240.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

I meant, inside the cab At 18.5" for a 15", it's a bit tight, so will need some damping stuck in gaps. OK, then at 48" won't be able to get the ears on axis with the driver at 36.75" [i.d.] from the baffle bottom/37.5" [o.d.] floor, but lucky you have an amp the driver was made for, so will boost the horn's extreme HF a bit, making it maybe OK off axis; otherwise may need a bypass cap to 'let through' extreme highs and worst case you have to add a proper CD horn EQ filter to it.

Vent specs, etc., later, it's nearly 2 am after a very long day rearranging leaves, so tech wise, going pretty much brain dead.

GM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast