Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Probably SOL - 604D

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I meant, inside the cab At 18.5" for a 15", it's a bit tight, so will need some damping stuck in gaps. OK, then at 48" won't be able to get the ears on axis with the driver at 36.75" [i.d.] from the baffle bottom/37.5" [o.d.] floor, but lucky you have an amp the driver was made for, so will boost the horn's extreme HF a bit, making it maybe OK off axis; otherwise may need a bypass cap to 'let through' extreme highs and worst case you have to add a proper CD horn EQ filter to it.

Vent specs, etc., later, it's nearly 2 am after a very long day rearranging leaves, so tech wise, going pretty much brain dead.

GM
    Right on. I was reading and responding at the same hour so missed the implication. I can't use leaves as an excuse, though. I've been studiously ignoring my 2.5 acres in hopes that the wind will do most of the work.

The amp is pretty much exactly why I ended up deciding on the Altecs. I was also considering going with JBL 130As or Tannoy 12" Golds. I wanted get something relatively time correct.

Do you think the 604d is capable of handling a Mcintosh MQ 101? I've got one sitting around looking pretty with no work to do. It could make up up for some of the size and setup constraints. But the warnings about it are always in the back of my mind.

Also, for the most part this system is for listening pleasure while I am working or sitting in my office reading or doing something else. So, perfection isn't a real goal for these. Just pleasurable listening.

The 8B and Quad ESL 57s in the basement listening room are where I really get down to sit and just listen. Although with a 5 year old the time for that is limited. Usually if he's down there with me, our choice of music is The Beach Boys Surf's Up. Long Promised Road (i.e. The Down Song) is his favorite. Or Roxy Music Flesh and Blood for Oh Yeah. Or something that is in blue vinyl because blue is his favorite color. Or anything that has a cover that looks cool.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Sweet! Mine calcs as ~1.34 acres with [8] huge trees, one with [4] full size trunks, one with [3] and two with [2], two <20 ft but seriously 'bushy' and a bunch of < 8 fters I keep stunted for privacy and a few < 4 fters for cheap decoration. This year is first time there wasn't enough roof, back or front yard area to sunbathe except down near the streets [corner lot] .

My knowledge of the MQ101 is from an RSVP audition a bit before its release IIRC and for whatever reason the tekkie told me it wouldn't work properly on my horn system without some $modding$ even though I had an all Mac separates tube system at the time, so circa '70-71. Best to ask McIntosh.

Vent = 4" dia. x ~0.75" [baffle thickness] centered up 7" from the bottom [i.d.].

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Junior Hostboard Member zbarbera's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Sweet! Mine calcs as ~1.34 acres with [8] huge trees, one with [4] full size trunks, one with [3] and two with [2], two <20 ft but seriously 'bushy' and a bunch of < 8 fters I keep stunted for privacy and a few < 4 fters for cheap decoration. This year is first time there wasn't enough roof, back or front yard area to sunbathe except down near the streets [corner lot] .

My knowledge of the MQ101 is from an RSVP audition a bit before its release IIRC and for whatever reason the tekkie told me it wouldn't work properly on my horn system without some $modding$ even though I had an all Mac separates tube system at the time, so circa '70-71. Best to ask McIntosh.

Vent = 4" dia. x ~0.75" [baffle thickness] centered up 7" from the bottom [i.d.].

GM

Fantastic! Now all I have to do is rebuild my Empire 208, get my MX110 repaired (short burned out the tranny, bought it on the cheap that way), bring the MC240 up on the variac and build cabinets. Nothing to it!

My town has a saying: ?too many damn trees?. I live close to Boston but you?d not know it, we?re a very rural seeming town on the surface.

Ill try the speakers for a while and see how I feel about the bass and decide if something needs to be done. Just picked up my pair. Found on Facespace marketplace about an hour from me.

I didn?t realize they were in a pair of cabinets. Homemade. The guy I got them from got them from an old-timer. Shortwave enthusiast who built the cabinets and a pair of crossovers for them. He did also give me the N-1600-B crossovers that were also in the cabinets when he picked them up. Both marked N-1600-B but different sizes?

The cabinets are 5.6 cu ft. I?ll just use them for now since I didn?t expect to build cabinets for a couple of months, likely.

Junior Hostboard Member zbarbera's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok. So, I have a set of legs coming (nice tapered oak ones with brass caps, it'll look very midcentury modern with 11 degree mounting plates) but for the moment I have them set up in my office with a Micro Seiki DD40, Marantz 2235 and Marantz 8b. I have them on boxed so only raised up an extra 9" or so. The cabinets are 28" tall, 18 1/4" deep and 24" wide. And they sound amazing. I've got a mono first press of Pet Sounds on now and I am not pining for any missing bass. I think I've found a pair of keepers. I can't see ever moving on from this sound. Unless something like a pair of 755a speakers should fall into my lap, of course!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12