Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Mid Bass Experimentaion

Trying to use imgur to store images, what a hassle, but going forward I can keep images from going bye bye.

So, I replaced the short bass horns with powered dual 18? jbl subs, and it is an improvement...
    nKBTpvb
    2Hcgoxv?1
    N2x0zpm?1

thinking about experimenting with a different mid bass solution using the 18? jbl 2242h speakers that are freed up.
    Moving next year and size may be an issue, but it?s been a while so I?m getting the itch.
    O93qfix?1

HB Super Moderator
    Mid Bass Experimentaion

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Re: Mid Bass Experimentaion

Hey Steve ! Have you tried Flickr ? I copy the BBcode on the flickr site. Pics are expandable as well for me. I posted some pics from there of my 511E's in the marketplace at the top of page.If you want to take a look.

Your drawing is 36x24x25 correct ? I think that is atound 11-12 cubic feet. Is that sufficient for the 18" JBL ?

The Altec User's Board Free Marketplace !
    Last edited by Altec Best; November 27th, 2020 at 03:25 PM. Reason: To add link

Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Hey Steve ! Have you tried Flickr ? I copy the BBcode on the flickr site. Pics are expandable as well for me. I posted some pics from there of my 511E's in the marketplace at the top of page.If you want to take a look.

Your drawing is 36x24x25 correct ? I think that is atound 11-12 cubic feet. Is that sufficient for the 18" JBL ?

The Altec User's Board Free Marketplace !
    Hello!
    Yes imgur works well, I use web site builder in godaddy and no hosting of music or images or files, so I?ve needed other ways to host unless I want to go the wordpress route...

Didn?t flickr get bought by smugmug? no opinion if that is good or bad...

As far as the cab size, I do not know...the dimensions only allow the abilty to get the mid bass close to the horn and the tweeter to set atop...and have the right elevation and not overhang the subs and present space on the subs for other things. The cab needs to get to 80Hz, but were it full range that might be a benefit long term. Don?t know yet. But I looked at the specs for this speaker and it seems to be a good mid bass choice, I think it has a shorting ring and the freq response looks good. So that?s where it stands...the theory for this is the next step. That?s kind of what I need at this point.

HB Super Moderator
    Mid Bass Experimentaion

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

The calculations I came up with are 10.94 cu ft. with a 18" driver. However I didn't account for the dimensions of the horn which will be a little smaller than that.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Based on published specs, the pioneer's optimum reflex = Vas/1.44 = ~196.53L/6.9404 ft^3 net, tuned to Fs, so ideally would use measured specs and if wanting the full 800 W rating, then the vent = 10" dia. x ~15.83" and this cab sealed comes inaudibly close enough to theoretical max flat.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Steve, I say junk the JerBiL Idea and pick up another 515-16 and turn it into a 5.1. I know that those big horns are hard to move, especially since we're getting older and are going to move. But the 288's on the left and right with some 808's on the mid's and surround and you won't be unhappy.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LOUDER View Post
    Steve, I say junk the JerBiL Idea and pick up another 515-16 and turn it into a 5.1. I know that those big horns are hard to move, especially since we're getting older and are going to move. But the 288's on the left and right with some 808's on the mid's and surround and you won't be unhappy.
    Hmmmm...well I already have these two...altec 605 and 511/802d...rear channels?
    They sound incredible but they are ugly imho....not that i care.
    If I painted the big horns real nice Altec gray...they would love pretty good I think...but I keep wondering if inside the new home that from 80-600Hz...the big mid bass horns are overkill. I wouldn?t know unless I actually built them.
    But I?m laughing because you called the highest powered JBL 18? loudspeaker a gerbil/jerbil?
    1?2
    for some reason i see the image briefly, then it goes away and is replaced by 1?2....anyone seen this?
    Last edited by Steve Mac; December 2nd, 2020 at 02:03 PM.

HB Super Moderator
    Mid Bass Experimentaion

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Picture is there for me... Altec N-800-D

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Picture is there for me... Altec N-800-D
    hmmmm...lemme try this again:
    1?2

- - - Updated - - -

okay, NOW i see what I posted...yeah and i?m using the crown xls 1502 which can bi-amplify...real convenient

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Steve no disrespect, but I hate gerbils ! But it may make a good midrange driver like you want it too be. Junk, But, Loud ! You already have them pull the trigger and let us know how the compare to the ALTECS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast