Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

My 3 cube 12" driver boxes

I made a pair of boxes a few years back, but kind of lost interest in them. This last Christmas I was up in north fla visiting and I asked the director of a small church if they wanted a large movie screen and projector. She said "That be great for outside movies".
    So when I got home I saw boxes in the corner and thought, they're going need sound, and I can get them out of my room and the reconed 417s I have too. Since I already had the cutouts for 931-12s. and I have a pair I got cheap, I could put eminence drivers In them and get rid of those too. I used an L pad and a 5500 high pass That setup sounded terrible. Almost no bass and the hf was,,,,,, odd.
    I tried 419s and they sounded really good and decent bass. I had a pair of 902s that came from a pair of speakers I got.
    And that was it. All I had to do was replace the l pads with resistors. After I got them together I tried them with my little test amp and I was surprised with what I ended up with. The bass and treble pots on my little test amp were right in the middle.
    So I took the outdoor movie set back up to Newberry new years weekend. Carol was just thrilled. Now they're looking for a little warmer weather.
    Now I'm building a set for myself. I really like the design. I'm going to try 414s in this set. If I don't like it I'll use my 412s.

IMG-20201229-200313 — ImgBB
    IMG-20201231-103814 — ImgBB
    IMG-20201227-213157 — ImgBB
    IMG-20210203-184449 — ImgBB
    IMG-20210212-212034 — ImgBB

took them to work for a day

starting the new set

Last edited by Phil-G; February 27th, 2021 at 07:49 AM.
    Sonic Barbarian

Senior Hostboard Member mattvandyke's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Re: My 3 cube 12" driver boxes

They look good and bet they sound nice. Good effort on putting some unused parts together for a nice set of speakers.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Finishing the bracing. Next is the cosmetics and coatings. And finally install the hardware.

Sonic Barbarian

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

I'm using a 414z for this set. I'm trying to find a good crossover point. I keep bouncing back and forth between 1.2 and 2 k. The dsp sure makes this easier.

Sonic Barbarian

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

we ideally need Re: My 3 cube 12" driver boxes

FWIW, it's considered a good plan to XO a point source driver in its pistonic BW, .i.e below its VC diameter or ~ 1437 Hz for the 414's 3". Another is to limit it to ~1 WL across its effective diameter where its response is ~ 'setting' on the baffle or ~10" = 1353 Hz, so a well though out design that at least WRT the woofer sets the XO for us with a mean ~1394 Hz, which in turn sets the horn size if designing from scratch.

Of course the baffle area affects it if wanting to go lower, but wanting to couple to a small point source driver such as is popular nowadays ['monkey coffin' 2-3 ways], we ideally need a [much] smaller VC.

Regardless, always interesting to know what the sum total of speaker alignment/room/hearing concludes, so thanks for sharing!
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Thanks GM, trying to find a sweet spot between the 414 and the 902s by ear gets lost after a half hour or so. The 414s might not like these boxes, and it's throwing them off.
    I originally built these boxes with the 419s in mind. (They're really weird birds.) i used a 5.5 k high pass to mitigate a 5k bump. They really sound great. They also go low in this setup. i see drop off at a little over 30hz whereas the 414s drop off at 40hz. I'm pretty sure if i lost the port tube and just left a hole, the 414 would go lower and probably better over all.
    but,,,,
    I do have a matching set of four 414Zs so the best thing i could do is build a pair of 9844s.

- - - Updated - - -

I just finished this set. I'm waiting for the high pass's and a new pair of diaphragms for the 902s
    Last edited by Phil-G; February 27th, 2021 at 10:14 PM.
    Sonic Barbarian

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

So I had some Stanley Screamer logos I found a few years back on eBay. I never could figure what the heck I going to do with these things. I did send one to Bill @ Gpa for his museum.
    A couple days ago I was going thru my speaker supplies and ran across the Screamers. I thought, these would look good on my little speakers. But,,, I have a thing about stolen valor. I just can't slap someone's Trademark on my scratch built speaker.
    Then it hit me, ask Stan Miller. So I checked my linkedin contacts and sent Mr Miller an email with a pic and asked if it was ok if I could put the logos on this speaker set. He said, No problem, I love it.
    That was really nice of him. Stan is the man.

So here it is

Sonic Barbarian