Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Re: Altec A7 500-8 and Altec 1224A electronic crossovers

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    LOL. I have not looked at the 9440 fans. I know you can buy speed controls for fans, might be able to slow them down. Not like you will be running at full power.
    Same will likely be true of any amp with fans. Which is most nowadays.

Paid cash for the birch. It's around 70 a sheet here. I bought quarter sheets for 5 bucks.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually according to Altec the fans are two speed thermostatically controlled.

I suspect that means "Runs on low, kicks to high when warm. There are ways to deal with fans.

These are from a music studio in a local university. One of my guys put them in. I didn't see howthey used them.
    Are they functionally ok? And where would they be shipping from?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

So you have horns? Good.

I might know of a pair of 808A drivers that need diaphragms. I'll check. The 808 is the same body as an 802. Great Plains Audio can put in new diaphragms.

Amp wise I have a bunch of stuff, I'm sure so do others here. We can keep exploring options.

I tend to have multiples of the same amps. Ill try and look thru what I have. There is a marketplace here where you can post your wants also.
    Here's an example of a used electronic crossover.

dbx 223XL Stereo 2-Way / Mono 3-Way Crossover | Reverb

This is the one I would buy if I were looking.
    Ashly XR22/12 Electronic Crossover | eBay

Basically inputs, outputs to the amps, and set the knobs. You can adjust the crossover frequency and horn level. Not hard, may look overwhelming but pretty easy really.
    Old guy, some 902-8A drivers came up for sale locally, are these drivers decent ones?

Thanks,
    -Brandon

Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec A7 500-8 and Altec 1224A electronic crossovers

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycoming680 View Post
    Old guy, some 902-8A drivers came up for sale locally, are these drivers decent ones?

Thanks,
    -Brandon

Yup. They are good.

The 900 series is an evolution of the 800 series. Basically, newer systems tend to use a higher crossover frequency. Compared to the 800 series, the response band is shifted upwards.
    I'd welcome other opinions, but mine is I would use the 900's from 1200 Hz up, where the 800's can be crossed lower. My listening perception is the 900's have a little more up top. Not enough to make me change to them. Lots of folks cross the 902 at 800 and are happy. I wasn't. IMHO the 802 is much heavier and works better at 800. But get other opinions, and the only way to know is try.

My friend is dropping off the 800 series drivers tomorrow. He wants $100. But they will need new diaphragms, and he said the screws were covered in a horrid green powder. He trashed them. You will spend $200 or a little more to get them going.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Yup. They are good.

The 900 series is an evolution of the 800 series. Basically, newer systems tend to use a higher crossover frequency. Compared to the 800 series, the response band is shifted upwards.
    I'd welcome other opinions, but mine is I would use the 900's from 1200 Hz up, where the 800's can be crossed lower. My listening perception is the 900's have a little more up top. Not enough to make me change to them. Lots of folks cross the 902 at 800 and are happy. I wasn't. IMHO the 802 is much heavier and works better at 800. But get other opinions, and the only way to know is try.

My friend is dropping off the 800 series drivers tomorrow. He wants $100. But they will need new diaphragms, and he said the screws were covered in a horrid green powder. He trashed them. You will spend $200 or a little more to get them going.
    Old guy, this same person has 808-8A's also, all working as they should, for the same price.
    Will these do ok crossing at 500?
    Thanks,
    -Brandon

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

The 808 has a Symbiotik diaphragm. In a nutshell handles more power, less highs.
    The 902 should have the same diaphragm as an 802- better highs.

The 802 and 808 are the same magnets. But likely buying working 808's and switching out to 802 will be pricey.

If you get a good deal go for it.
    Be aware many used Altecs have knockoff, as in not real Altec diaphragms. I would not pay a lot unless you know the seller well.

Yes 800 series can go to 500. But again, opinion, I think one inch drivers sound better at 800. 416's have no problem doing 800.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

The 808 has a Symbiotik diaphragm. In a nutshell handles more power, less highs.
    The 902 should have the same diaphragm as an 802- better highs.

The 802 and 808 are the same magnets. But likely buying working 808's and switching out to 802 will be pricey.

If you get a good deal go for it.
    Be aware many used Altecs have knockoff, as in not real Altec diaphragms. I would not pay a lot unless you know the seller well.

Yes 800 series can go to 500. But again, opinion, I think one inch drivers sound better at 800. 416's have no problem doing 800.
    Well, I got the 808's and a pair of 511B horns for $400. I've got everything wired directly out of my Mac 1900 and it all works. Looks like the paper cone on one of my 416-8A's is separating from the black rubber surround, can this be re-glued or do I need a re-cone?

Thanks old guy,
    -Brandon

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycoming680 View Post
    Well, I got the 808's and a pair of 511B horns for $400. I've got everything wired directly out of my Mac 1900 and it all works. Looks like the paper cone on one of my 416-8A's is separating from the black rubber surround, can this be re-glued or do I need a re-cone?

Thanks old guy,
    -Brandon
    Umm 416s have a cloth pleated surround. Do you have a pic? if it has a rubber surround you definatly need a recone.
    Sonic Barbarian

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post
    Umm 416s have a cloth pleated surround. Do you have a pic? if it has a rubber surround you definitely need a recone.
    What Phil says is correct. But you may be confused about the surrounds. If you have trouble posting pics PM me and we will get it worked out. Would need pics of the surround and any numbers on the back of the cone.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

What Phil says is correct. But you may be confused about the surrounds. If you have trouble posting pics PM me and we will get it worked out. Would need pics of the surround and any numbers on the back of the cone.
    Thanks Phil and old guy, I'll get some pics tomorrow as I've put them in their stored position for the night to allow the Mrs to put her car in the garage.

It's right where the grey-ish cloth or paper material connects to the black, rubberized pleats on the outside diameter
    . The black, rubbery pleats I'm guessing are a "suspension" of sorts...? I was blown away by the sound. Had the LF's running off the main speaker outs and the horns on a "B" remote channel out the back of my Mac 1900, full range on everything I guess.

-Brandon

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

So I opened up the 808's, they have Radian 1228-8 diaphragms.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast