Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder coating 511B's, how to save the decals?

Hostboard Member Voice_of_the_Llama's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Powder coating 511B's, how to save the decals?

I was thinking about having my scratched-up 511B's powder coated to restore their factory appearance and I would like to preserve the original decals if possible. Is it fine to just use a heat gun to loosen the adhesive and lift it off?

Thanks

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Re: Powder coating 511B's, how to save the decals?

I would like to preserve the original decals if possible.
    Why bother?

New finish deserves new decals.

ALTEC 511B & 811B Loudspeaker Driver Horn "DECAL" New! | eBay

Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've seen those. I'd get them if I ended mucking up the original pair, but they're not a perfect replica as they're not embossed.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

To answer your question, IMHO&E the heat gun is a bit overkill. If you must use it, keep in mind how thin the foilcal is and how fast it will heat up once free of the horn's cooling mass.

If available, use a blow dryer with selectable heat range. Start out low and increase the heat gradually to the point where it softens the adhesive enough to let go

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    To answer your question, IMHO&E the heat gun is a bit overkill. If you must use it, keep in mind how thin the foilcal is and how fast it will heat up once free of the horn's cooling mass.

If available, use a blow dryer with selectable heat range. Start out low and increase the heat gradually to the point where it softens the adhesive enough to let go
    OK, good idea. I'll try that first. I assume the printing was done by silk screen?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I managed to remove the labels using a hair dryer as recommended, and by carefully peeling them little by little with a razor blade while applying constant heat. They put up a helluva fight but they came up without too many new wrinkles. The corners on the first label were already missing...

decals.jpg

I'll take the horns into my local powder coat shop on Monday. Come to think of it, this might be a good opportunity to send the drivers into GPA to have them remagnetized and have radial waveguides installed...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just had a nice phone conversation with Bill at GPA, therein he essentially talked me out of sending the drivers in and "wasting my money". I learned that a vast majority of drivers that pass through GPA need no regaussing, and unless I have reason to suspect otherwise (I don't), mine are no exception. I also learned that my 802-Cs would not accept the GPA radial waveguide as the pole piece would have to be changed. Bill went on to explain that the tangerines made only a tiny improvement in the high frequencies, and would not improve the directivity (or enlarge the "sweet spot") as I had first believed it would. I thanked him for the consultation, and before hanging up I mentioned I was delighted to see my A7's featured in the GPA homepage banner (the second photo, of the A7s with 811 horns...I think the pic was from my restoration thread either here or on AK).

The 511's should be getting coated soon. I chose a matte finish that's applied in one coat...the other options entailed multiple coats and looked too glossy or too blotchy.

I'll post photos when they're back home.
    Last edited by Voice_of_the_Llama; August 20th, 2021 at 04:30 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

I just had a nice phone conversation with Bill at GPA, therein he essentially talked me out of sending the drivers in and "wasting my money". I learned that a vast majority of drivers that pass through GPA need no regaussing, and unless I have reason to suspect otherwise (I don't), mine are no exception. I also learned that my 802-Cs would not accept the GPA radial waveguide as the pole piece would have to be changed. Bill went on to explain that the tangerines made only a tiny improvement in the high frequencies, and would not improve the directivity (or enlarge the "sweet spot") as I had first believed it would.
    I got a good giggle out of the notion that you were going to have tangerines installed in an annular phased Altec driver.

We have discussed phase plugs here ad nauseum in the past. Common knowledge among seasoned Altec enthusiasts is that the tangerine was a cost cutting measure. It's a cheap, injection molded piece of plastic versus a precision machined piece of steel, pennies to produce versus tens of dollars for the metal version.

What Bill may not have told you since you have not mentioned it is that the tangerine pretty much destroys the small format drivers' ability to play well in the 500 - 800 hz range. Kinda sad because the alnico drivers that came with tangerines also featured other changes which were genuine improvements. Most notably the 1 piece cast steel magnetic return pot which offers a more uniform magnetic circuit than the welded pipe and plate construction of the annular phased drivers.

Acoustically, the biggest improvement it offers is that you can wring a few more db out of it before you encounter driver cry in a high output pro application.

Mythically, tangerine drivers are supremely valuable, and will outperform any other driver at any cost which makes them easily inserted into the uninformed.

The small format drivers will only require re-magging if they have been shocked/dropped significantly(enough to shift the pole piece usually), or if you have taken the motor assembly apart.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the education. I've personally encountered a range of opinions about the tangerines, even among other Altec users. Well I've probably embarrassed myself, haven't I...
    Last edited by Voice_of_the_Llama; August 28th, 2021 at 07:35 PM. Reason: clarity

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I picked up the horns today and I couldn't be happier with how they turned out.

Before:
    PXL_20210818_203944244.jpg

After:
    PXL_20210828_014641058.jpg
    PXL_20210828_011139476.jpg

The bill came out $75 less than what was originally quoted, a very welcome surprise.

I purchased the above replica decals as I don't think I'll be able to re-apply the old ones without them looking wrinkled. Hopefully my local engraving and sign shop has a way to emboss them...I'll find out Monday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast