Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">1, Custom built a cabinet with the plan of the 828. I really like that original Altec's look. </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats what i did /(ok, still do)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What to do to improve A5-7 performance in smaller rooms?

Basically same as needed for larger room.

First make sure all drivers are operating properly, that horns are de-ringed. cabs are braced and horn flares are covered to limit cabinet volume. Be sure LF and HF drivers are properly aligned. Place cabs in corners angle slightly inward. Sit as far back as possible to allow the best mixing and bass response to develop. Adding wings always increases bass response further but really not practical for small room setting.

Bottom line is A5-7 will outperform most speakers even in a smaller room but for best performance they need to breathe. If not satisfied consider model 19 which uses vented 10 cubic foot LF cab. Only need the cab since drivers are the same. Check with Iconic for ready made cabs.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Roland, I have done almost every one of the things in your list. My 828C's have the flair isolated and the void *****d with expanding foam,I have glued inner "doubler" panels to the large cabinet surfaces and replaced the back panel with a externaly brace piece of 1" MDF. I do however need to reduce the area of my port to make up for the loss of internal volume (not much was lost though)

Do you think that a couple of heavy port tubes would be better than the rectangular port? I am not sure of the legth or size of port tubes I would need if I did it this way?

I still need to "coat" my 511's to stop the ringing (just have not quite gotten up the nerve to do it)

The most dramatic thing I have done to my 802 8-T drivers is to have rear covers made for them out of a heavy aluminum billet that has a larger volume; things (to me) sound less strident and shrill and since I am not really pushing them I don't think the extra space behind the diaphragm will hurt them any.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Albert, I have found that a product called Duct Seal is an easy way to damp my 511's. Don't know where you live but Home Depot has it in the electrical dept. Price is about $2-2.50/pound. I put on 6 #'s/ horn - 2 each on the mouth flares and 1 # on each side of the flats between the front and rear flanges. Duct seal is a self sticking blob that can be removed with no degrodation of the orginal surface.

Jim N

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Albert:

You can try porting tubes for deeper bass some fellow were doing so a while back with reportedly good results. GM also has experience tuning these in the same fashion. Maybe he will respond.

Many ways to dering the 511. You can fill the front hollow lips with plastic mix or bondo and paint, try the adhesive "lead" sheets listed in MCM etc catalogs in the top bottom and sides etc. I did my PA cabs where the horn back does not show with carpet and adhesive...works great.

Make sure you have a 515B or 515G as LF driver. The 421 is a bass musical driver and does not match the resolution of the others.

If not biamping and using passive crossovers (a sin in PA/sound reinforcement) check out Hiraga's crossover mod...apparently he has one for the 511 horn in addition to the multicell one. These as you probably know change these speakers from MR heavy to a more balanced output.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am using the 515 8-G bass drivers and Marchand active crossovers. I am in between amps right now; I was using a pair of little Decware tube amps and although very musical did not have the power I needed for full scale orchestral works.

So do you feel having the VOTT's in the corner will work? That is the only configuration I have not tried. I am sure it will help the bass but I don't want it to get tubby.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Albert: Try it with slight tilt inwards to prevent XS wall reflections. For smaller rooms 811 horns do slightly better, borrow a couple and check them out if 511s project too deeply.

If still dissatisfied make 1" throat tractrixs and use with your 800 series comp driver. This projects well in smaller rooms. Hard to improve on the resolution of the 825-828 cabs so keep those if can.

Best Roland

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So what did the software find wrong with the word f i l l e d? forums

Inactive Member Mirrophonic Sound System's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Michael:
    I'm selling a nice pair of MAGNIFICENTS (A7s in a
    domestic finished cabinet). Interested ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12