Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Dear All,

I am new to this forum, and I am planning on using a pair of A7 in my home theater set up. As I have read from other posts that A7s need a fair amount of room to perform well, I just wonder how much room they actually need.

My room is around 15' X 35'. However, with a 100" 16:9 projector screen it doesn't leave much space at the sides for the A7. They will probably be a foot or less from the side walls. My usually viewing distance is about 17'-18' from the front wall. So is this room big enough for the A7.

Thanks,

Michael forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have my A7's in a 12 by 16 room which is small. The speakers sound great and the only real problem I can say I have is that I have to find the point in the room where all the sound comes together and sit right there. Usually that point is dead center between the two cabinets and sitting not standing.

I think your room will be large enough for the A7's even if you do have to place them against the side walls and angle them inward slightly.

Happy listening

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You might try turning your bass cabinets on their sides and mounting the tweeter horns just above the woofers. You might be able to get them under your screen this way. I am using Carmels on 12" risers under my 110" 16:9 with good results.

Good luck,
    David

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pretty much the larger the better within reason.

Remember these are usually behind the screen in theaters where the first row is about 30 feet away. At the same time they do well in medium size rooms like yours. But in general horns require more distance to mix their outputs properly and for full bass/midbass to develop. You can always get a 10 cubic foot vented enclosure and put your 416/515 driver for a model 19 like speaker. Iconic carries these ready made cabinets I believe.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I will be optimistic for once, forums ,and say that one foot from each side wall just might be optimum for you.

The length should be rather good and I think you will enjoy the sound.

Of course there's only one way to really tell. forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thekong,

Your room should work out good. You have the one long dimension and can sit back aways. Just toe them in to keep the reflections off the near side walls.

stpower

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

Thanks Guys, I suppose now I have to go on e-bay to find me a pair of A7, or even A5

Michael forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You can make your own base cabinets, they aren't that hard to do. All you need is a skill saw and the materials. Any interest? I can send you some plans if you are.

Regards,

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Yep, stick them in the corners and toe'd in with some rolls of Miraflex in the triangular cavity behind them. If you're really serious, space them up on a solid platform so the horns are at 2/3rd screen height and angle them down towards the viewing position, and if you're really, really serious make a baffle to span the gaps between the speaker and walls (more rolls of Miraflex) so you wind up with something like this except with the horn down in a cutout in the baffle right above the cab:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image.../800/page2.jpg

The cutout needs to be big enough to allow as large a radiused continuation of the flare as practical to reduce mouth reflections, and carry the baffle to the top of the screen (more rolls of Miraflex). This in essence would mimic the false wall they build around the cinema systems today. Use a thick foam insulation ribbon to seal the baffles to the walls.

I did a built-in system like this at a neighbor's house ages ago using dual Realistic 12" drivers/1.2kHz horns (back when RS sold half decent components cheap) and it was quite impressive for the day, enough so that all but a few with basement rooms 'cloned' it.

GM

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right now, I am considering 2 possibilities:

1, Custom built a cabinet with the plan of the 828. I really like that original Altec's look.

2, Custom built a cabinet like Altec used in their 820A speaker (they are triangular and look different from the 820 cabinet in the Altec unofficial site) with 2 417 woofer. I wonder if anyone has a plan for the 820A cabinet?

Thanks

Michael forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast