0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Lightbulb Altec A5 or A7 with 311-90 horns - missing brackets

Hello

I own a VOTT A5 or A7 - I'm not sure 😄

What's missing are the brackets that hold the 311-90 horns (see the attached picture).

I couldn't figure out the exact measurements, material, angle and placement of them as the speakers had 511 horns when I got them.

Is there anyone who owns an original set and can send detailed pictures with measurements and placement so I can rebuild the brackets?

That would be so nice 🙂.

Best Regards

Christian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Hostboard Member endeeinn's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Altec A5 or A7 with 311-90 horns - missing brackets

Quote Originally Posted by Hosti View Post
    Hello

I own a VOTT A5 or A7 - I'm not sure ������

What's missing are the brackets that hold the 311-90 horns (see the attached picture).

I couldn't figure out the exact measurements, material, angle and placement of them as the speakers had 511 horns when I got them.

Is there anyone who owns an original set and can send detailed pictures with measurements and placement so I can rebuild the brackets?

That would be so nice ������.

Best Regards
    Christian
    I'm pretty sure those are the standard Altec horn mounting brackets. The attached ebay listing has some measurements ... the price, however, is in outer space.

ALTEC LANSING HORN Mounting Brackets VOT (PAIR) Worldwide shipping | eBay

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Thank You endeeinn, that helps a bit. The price is really 🚀

Senior Hostboard Member endeeinn's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hosti View Post
    Thank You endeeinn, that helps a bit. The price is really ������
    If you keep an eye on eBay you will find that they come up periodically and at more reasonable prices. I use 311-90's on my A-5's or what ever you call a VOT with 311's. I jus used an small "L" bracket attached on both sides to a "T" shaped wood sled and used a standard long "L" bracket at the rear so that I could adjust to proper height to aim at the listening position.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

While I don't recall ever seeing it, I assume that it would fall under the A5-X listing: http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...vott/page6.jpg

Re horn offset, don't recall seeing any published data, so recommend using this technique to find it if you don't have DSP to dial it in: https://audioroundtable.com/misc/Alt...hht4gzTH3YGV3M

Re brackets, I need to figure the horn's end correction to determine the theoretically ideal gap between the horn mouth and top of cab, so will try to do it tomorrow.

Note that ideally want to mount the horn on a sled [flat piece of plywood, metal plate or similar rigid plate] to screw it to the bass horn for added stiffness, damping.
    Last edited by GM; May 1st, 2022 at 12:12 AM.
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

just saying, a a-7 with a 311-90 is what was used in saturday night fever !!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Never gotten around to watching it since I had to suffer through my daughter playing the album for months, then the Grease one plus 'mom' as one of the chaperons willing to suffer through the movies multiple times, so was at least spared that, though decades later was scanning channels and thought I noticed an A7 bass cab's shadow way at the back of the dance floor, but just now can't even find that when searching stills from the dance scene........

Regardless, good to know, at least someone involved in the dance club design had a clue; in my locale they typically used A7-8 since all the small neighborhood cinemas had them and only a mono system at that, ergo theoretically made it sound like the movies, which of course they didn't due to at least stereo and the DJ's used EQ to make it 'their' [horrible to my ears] sound.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, lacking any measured responses of a 311-90, came up with at least a close enough spec of ~5.44" to the bottom of the horn mouth, then remembered the whole sled/bracket had been discussed at least once here and wonder of wonders[!] actually found the 805 multicell bracket's measurements, which has near enough the same mouth diameter, ergo end correction, hence its bracket's slots falls in line with the 311-90/5.44":
    https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....795.11707/full

Note that these assume mounted to a 3/4" thick sled, which ideally should be screwed to the bass horn to give it its much needed stiffness/mass loading rather than the 'floating' ones some folks prefer, though have to wonder if they've done any comparison to actually know if it's better overall for a HIFI/HT app: Building sleds for Altec multicell horns

This should put the horn mounting tab near enough right with the hardware at the bottom of the top slot.
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

You are all great! Thank You 🙂

I managed to find a movie still from Saturday Night Fever with an A7

https://livedoor.blogimg.jp/leonarth...d/5de80dff.jpg

5de80dff.jpg

I read the all information and will build my own sled. This will take some weeks as I have some other projects but I'll show the result then.

Thank You for all the informations!
    🙂👍🏻

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

You're welcome!

Thanks! It's a 511; note its mounting flange Vs the 311's rear tabs and apparently mounted to the factory two piece wood 'L' bracket.