Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello,
    I built my first pair of VOTT 825 Cabinets with bracing in the lower section and me and my colleagues were impressed of that sound which was right to what this Cabinet is so famous for.
    I use them for my 416^s and run it together with the 288HF Driver on MR Horns.
    Now I would like to build a new set and I am wondering how it would sound when I leave the
    horn flare away and give it a new more living room appropriate design.
    Volume and bass reflex opening stays the same.
    Does anyone tried it before or anyone has an idea what it will sound like and what I have to respect?
    Thanks in advance.

Lunes

Senior Hostboard Member dhook17322's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Have you ever seen a pair of Magnificents? They were a fine piece of furniture without compromising the VOT performance. Can't imagine anyone finding fault with their appearance beyond the size.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

I have given serious though to creating a bass horn similar to the mantaray flare. Instead of a smooth curve out, I was going to make it with the straight throat and sharp flare. Would it help with dispersion or directivity? I know that the mantaray was designed to help eliminate high frequency beaming, so maybe it won't make any differente at all. Don't know, but i was going to give it a try someday!

As for Wife Acceptance Factor, just make some cabinets for the horns to set on top of the bass cab, put them in the room, and get a nice tablecloth to drape over it and make it look like an accent piece or something. Put some art of flowers or something on top of them. I myself see speakers as a work of art themselves, and luckily my wife seems to agree with me, so I have never had the WAF to deal with forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have seen photos of them, never in person.

I was considering my plans for live PA use, not home use. I could care less how big they are or what they look like, as long as they sound good!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

>Lunes:

>Now I would like to build a new set and I am wondering how it would sound when I leave the horn flare away and give it a new more living room appropriate design.
    Volume and bass reflex opening stays the same.

====

Not sure I understand. Do you mean make a simple box the same size with the same vent and the driver mounted on the front baffle?

If so, then yes, I have done it and it will be very underdamped, so it will need to be tuned to a lower Fb for best performance. Also, the horn will need to be attenuated much more to tonally balance it out.

====

>Charles Clark:

>I was going to make it with the straight throat and sharp flare. Would it help with dispersion or directivity? I know that the mantaray was designed to help eliminate high frequency beaming, so maybe it won't make any differente at all.

>I was considering my plans for live PA use, not home use. I could care less how big they are or what they look like, as long as they sound good!

====

Yes, though for a Mantaray design to be effective in the A7 horn's BW, it would have to be much longer/larger, think almost 2x the size of a 210's mouth for a 90 x 40 deg polar response. Might not be too big for a permanent install, but forget portability.

GM