Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am building Onken cabinets for my 604B's. My first test produced an air rushing sound in the background. Inaudible when music is playing, but not the black background that I would like to have. Any ideas??? I am using deflex panels on the rear wall and no insulation.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think you need to look to your amp and pre amp here. The sensitivity of the Altec components and systems is so great that every little bit of noise is going to be heard and in electronic equipment that random noise usually sounds like rushing air or a soft hiss. In some circumstances, you will hear a soft hum with the rushing noise, too.

One of the most common sources of amp noise comes from the interconnects. Make sure cables between signal source (CD player, turntable, tuner), preamp and amp are all good quality and secure.

I have also experienced this problem with volume control pots, especially on anything more that 10 years old. Most of the time they can be fixed with a shot of spray cleaner like the kind Radio Shack sells.

Last, you may be hard pressed to totally get rid of this noise, it is simply inherent to electronic equipment. Just try to reduce it as much as you can.

Hope this helps

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you are going to use cassettes as your music source, you are going to have noise and lots of it. The Dolby system was originally created to reduce the large amount of background noise inherent in cassette recordings by actually changing the signal volume during recording. You would probably be better off using a cheap personal CD player than a cassette for your signal source.

Have fun and good luck.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank's for responding. This was just a preliminary hookup with bare wire from a very low end unit using the cassette as a source. I think my problem is possibly with my internal connections. I'm working on it.