Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: acoustician - altec clones?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member holgi's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hey,
    a friend of mine gave me a pair of 12" coaxials wich seem to be altec clones or low-budget-altecs. has anyone experience with these drivers? i can email you photos.
    thanks - holgi

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Jim D's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    155
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would love to see a set of pictures of these drivers, please send them to [email protected]. The acoustician speakers are, I believe, one of the US brand names for those made by an oriental outfit, Taiwan?, called ZOMAX. For years they have been building knock-offs of US loudspeakers, namely ALTEC and JBL. Their horn drivers and woofers look like dead ringers for the US models. They also sold diaphragms to fit the US speakers. I have tested a pair of these drivers, the performance was despicable. The diaphragms did not fit properly either. I was not aware they made a CoAx. I have also seen similar models sold under the name Epitome. That's what I know. Jim

  3. #3
    Inactive Member cddeluca@telocity.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    78
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The slowest web site on the planet...

    http://www.zomax-audio.com/

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Jim D's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    155
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I looked at the ZOMAX site. I do not know if this is the same ZOMAX from before or if they have changed looks. This one is in China, I'm pretty sure compnents I saw in the late 80s were from Taiwan. I was told by the people from WALDOM who sold the pieces, then called Acoustician, that they were built by Zomax. The Image division of WALDOM still sells the same items, part nubers and all, but now sells them under the Epitome brand. These still look like ALTEC clones. Maybe someone can turn this up. JIM

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Rex Mills's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 17th, 2002
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here is a link to Zomax in the USA. Until recently they did their own distibution but another company apears to be taking that over.

    http://www.audiopile.net/products/Sp...stributor_.htm

  6. #6
    Inactive Member retired guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 29th, 2003
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes the original Zomax was in Taiwan. There seems to have been some kind of splintering, there were several factories. I have seen several different companies calling themselves Zomax.
    The website referenced through Audiopile is Prozomax

    Hope I did that right, my first time posting here.
    My guess is the several factories split up and each one is claiming to be the real Zomax.
    Created REAL havoc with parts. HTH.

    Darn, and I wanted to use the name Prozomax as my marketing idea for extra-strength Prozac. Oh well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.