Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I bought a pair of Altec 604C duplex loudspeakers at a garage sale, while looking for guitar speakers, not really sure if I should use them for that purpose. I don't know anything about them. Could someone tell me how many watts they can handle, or if it's even wise to use them for Guitar?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Technically they could be used for that but it's sort of like using a Ferrari for going to the supermarket. I would think there are other drivers more suited for guitar amps. I think they are rated for around 30 watts, but you wouldn't want to hear them with 30 watts (not at a close distance anyway). I have a 10 watt amp that I sometimes use in place of my 1.2 watt amp for mine, and the 10 watts can be overwhelming. Keep in mind that with one watt you'll be able to get around 100 db. If you're new to this, however you use them you will need some sort of crossover to prevent low-frequency signals from going to the tweeters and damaging them. Maybe you got the crossovers with them, who knows. Finding a pair of 604C's at a garage sale is quite fotunate for you, perhaps you would tell us how much you paid? Less than $600 would be a very good deal.

Dave

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

forums <font size="6"> NO-NO-NO!Do NOT use the 604C's for guitars!!!!!!!</font>

These are high-fidelity studio monitors, designed for extremely sensitive and accurate playback! The distortion guitar players often induce into their signal, coupled with the high power output of their amplifiers, will blow these valuable gems into a million pieces!

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ May 05, 2004 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Todd W. White ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow! that was loud. I think someone else compared it to driving a Porche in a demolition derby. It appears that they are in mint condition. They came with only one crossover, N1600A. It appears that I found a deal because I paid $100.00 for both. (It makes up for foolishly trading a vintage Fender telecaster for an Epiphone 12 string acoustic guitar,) Hey I was young at the time. Don't worry, I'm not using them for a guitar. I'm in the process of building a cabinet for them now. Thanks for the reply, and I hope you'll help me in the future.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am, in fact, looking for guitar speakers. Something that will handle the lows, like a bass speaker. Either 15 inch or 18 inch. Also I'm thinking of selling the two Altec 604 Duplex, along with the crossover N1600A. Any idea what a fair price would be? They work, and are in very good condition.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In terms of Altec speakers for guitar, you should look for 417's (12"), 418's or 421's. I think I have some 421's if you need any. Steve