Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Is it worth setting Up?

Two years ago I have purchased some used audio stuff from a local audio studio company. Here are my items :
    1) 2 pairs Altec Compression Driver 291-16K
    2) 1 pair Electro-voive 1928 CD
    3) 1 pair EV horn HR9040
    4) 1 pair EV horn HR4020A
    5) 1 pair EVM-15L woofer
    6) 1 pair EV-ST350 (829 0166 327) tweeters

I would like to set up a 3 ways system, here are my idea ; Ev ST350 as HF, HR9040 with Altec 291-16K as mid and HR4020A with another altec for bass mid while the EVM-15L used TL606 bass box as sub. (2), any suggestion for using passive cross ? At present my listening room 15ft (W) X 22ft (L) X 10ft (H), my audio stuff that I have are Klyne 6 Pre-amp, pioneer CD PT-07 , Technics FR-956A turntable, Accuphase F15 crossover, Decware SE84CS power amp., Westrex A116 and 2 units Yamaha P1002 power amp. Any idea please suggest,thank you

Senior Hostboard Member
    Is it worth setting Up?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Re: Is it worth setting Up?

Quote Originally Posted by kchia59 View Post
    Two years ago I have purchased some used audio stuff from a local audio studio company. Here are my items :
    1) 2 pairs Altec Compression Driver 291-16K
    2) 1 pair Electro-voive 1928 CD
    3) 1 pair EV horn HR9040
    4) 1 pair EV horn HR4020A
    5) 1 pair EVM-15L woofer
    6) 1 pair EV-ST350 (829 0166 327) tweeters

I would like to set up a 3 ways system, here are my idea ; Ev ST350 as HF, HR9040 with Altec 291-16K as mid and HR4020A with another altec for bass mid while the EVM-15L used TL606 bass box as sub. (2), any suggestion for using passive cross ? At present my listening room 15ft (W) X 22ft (L) X 10ft (H), my audio stuff that I have are Klyne 6 Pre-amp, pioneer CD PT-07 , Technics FR-956A turntable, Accuphase F15 crossover, Decware SE84CS power amp., Westrex A116 and 2 units Yamaha P1002 power amp. Any idea please suggest,thank you
    OK- in order-in my opinion-
    The 1828c or r not 1928 have no place in a HiFi system. They just don't.
    Forget about the HR4020A, they won't do midbass and there is a terrible mismatch between their pattern and the 9040.
    The EVM 15l won't be a sub no matter what you put it in. It's a mid bass woofer.
    Frankly, I doubt the ST350 has any better highs than the 291. There are much better tweeters.
    Something else for a sub, the 15l for mid-bass and the 291 for HF is a good place to start. Try the ST350 and see if you like them.

I'd recommend active crossovers.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Indeed! Load the 15L in a pioneer's Vb = Vas/1.44 = 6 ft^3, 1.56x Fs (measured or if willing to rely on ancient 43 Hz specs) Fb = ~67 Hz tuning for max power, eff. and short of a full size horn you've got one serious mid bass speaker; add a dedicated separate sub or better yet, multiples for the ~20 - 80 Hz BW and your room's gain below ~25 Hz will lower it a bit for all but the lowest LFE soundtracks.
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Junior Hostboard Member kchia59's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    OK- in order-in my opinion-
    The 1828c or r not 1928 have no place in a HiFi system. They just don't.
    Forget about the HR4020A, they won't do midbass and there is a terrible mismatch between their pattern and the 9040.
    The EVM 15l won't be a sub no matter what you put it in. It's a mid bass woofer.
    Frankly, I doubt the ST350 has any better highs than the 291. There are much better tweeters.
    Something else for a sub, the 15l for mid-bass and the 291 for HF is a good place to start. Try the ST350 and see if you like them.

I'd recommend active crossovers.

Thank you for the advice and will look into it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Indeed! Load the 15L in a pioneer's Vb = Vas/1.44 = 6 ft^3, 1.56x Fs (measured or if willing to rely on ancient 43 Hz specs) Fb = ~67 Hz tuning for max power, eff. and short of a full size horn you've got one serious mid bass speaker; add a dedicated separate sub or better yet, multiples for the ~20 - 80 Hz BW and your room's gain below ~25 Hz will lower it a bit for all but the lowest LFE soundtracks.

Thank you for the suggestion and will check it out

Senior Hostboard Member
    Is it worth setting Up?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

the problem with the 4020 is it's pattern is too narrow. You can probably use the EVM 15 and tl cabinet as mid bass.

You have the Accuphase crossover. I would recommend 80 Hz crossover to subs and EVM and 800 Hz to the 291 from the EVM's.

So you need Sub, the proper cards for the Accuphase, and two more power amps.

If you want to go passive crossovers you will likely need a custom crossover. You can likely get some out of the box ones from Parts Express just to get started.

You could just use the EVM's without a sub, but they have nothing much below 80 Hz.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Junior Hostboard Member kchia59's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    the problem with the 4020 is it's pattern is too narrow. You can probably use the EVM 15 and tl cabinet as mid bass.

You have the Accuphase crossover. I would recommend 80 Hz crossover to subs and EVM and 800 Hz to the 291 from the EVM's.

So you need Sub, the proper cards for the Accuphase, and two more power amps.

If you want to go passive crossovers you will likely need a custom crossover. You can likely get some out of the box ones from Parts Express just to get started.

You could just use the EVM's without a sub, but they have nothing much below 80 Hz.

Thank you for the information, anyway will try out yours recommendation and see from there