Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Looking for as close to acoustically transparent grill cloth as possible. Refinishing enclosures in white, so something off white in color is in order. I can try looking at Radio Shack, but I thought someone might share their expertise on the topic of grill cloth. I do have frames to attach it to.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You can go to cloth world and get just about any color you want as long as it's not too thick it should work ok.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Try Parts Express on the internet. They ship fast and have several colors.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Or Jack.........you can do this:

Contact Wendell Fabrics Corporation. They sell the real "acoustic" grille cloth. They sell the old Mellotone brand of real acoustically transparent speaker grill cloth. All kinds, and designs, and colors. We have ordered Mellotone Grill Cloth in rolls to accomodate large installations we have done, such as large single "point-source" suspended clusters of loudspeakers, and HF horns in large sanctuarys in churches.

Telephone # is 864-839-6341 FAX 864-839-2911

OR: Go to www.google.com and put in to "search" for ......Mellotone Fabrics/.....or speaker grillcloth.

I am sure you can find it. They are in Blacksburg, South Carolina.

Be sure to use real acoustically designed grill cloth to make sure you do not inbibit the high frequencies and even mid-ranges to come through!

Thanks, AL (AL-TEC)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Another way is to take another person (with good ears) with you to your favorite fabric store and go to the polyester single knits. Find the color you want a make sure you can kinda see through it. Then make a hissing sound by blowing air through your teeth with your lips parted. Move the fabric up and down about 6-8 inches in front of your face and have the other person listen for a loss of HF when the fabric is in front of your mouth. Buy the one with the least loss. Some will have almost none. Avoid cottons, and other close knit fabrics as they can totally torpedo the HF with their fuzzy threads. In fact most fabrics, will not work. most grille cloth is fine, but I have seen some that was not too good. Jim

Senior Hostboard Member Jim Butler's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HI Al,
    Thanks for the info on Wendell Fabrics. I've checked it out and they have very nice "vintagey" looking fabrics. I'm getting their samples to select from for the cabinet refinishing projects I have.
    Jim Butler