Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to select replacement drivers for 515-G's? What T/S parameters would be the most significant? EBP, Fs, Vas, Qts? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There is no direct replacement for a 515 other than another 515. Why do you want to replace them? The G series has a very powerful motor and great control. Perhaps I need more information. Please post you reasoning for this. The G series 515 is a bass horn driver only, it will not be a very good vented box woofer, I await your reply. Jim

Inactive Member cddeluca@telocity.com's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The problem is I'm a nut bag, I guess. I want to buy a pair of 515-G's but I seem unable to do that. The admittedly nustso part is I'm only willing to spend money on a mint pair. I've found one or two on eBay, but Total Audio is selling them and I've been warned away from Total Audio on this message board. Other pairs I've seen for sale appear either beat or obviously damaged, e.g. buckled cones, etc..I wrote to Sumner at L&M Trading. He said he'd check his inventory for a pair and that was the end of it. So I figure maybe new production is the way to go. It looks like the Audax PR380M2 is very close specs-wise: Fs=24, Vas=13.2 cu ft, Qts=0.15, Qes=0.17, EBP=140. So that's why I'm looking for a substitute (I guess replacement was the wrong word to use, sorry.) If you have any advice I'd sincerely appreciate it. Thanks, Charlie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi, I am looking at the 515-8G T/S as reported by Great Plains Audio. They are way different than the specs you listed for the Audax.

What kind of cabinet are you using and what will your crossover point be?

Inactive Member cddeluca@telocity.com's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Dave:
    Maybe I should have said something on the order of closer than any other driver I could find: Qts significantly less than 0.3, relatively high VAS and nearly equivalent EBP. I want to use an Altec 816VI crosssed at about 800 Hz. I'm trying to reverse-engineer it from the overall dimensions and what I assume the flare depth to be (14 inches).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Get some off ebay that appear to have the damaged cones, and send them in to Great Plains Audio for a recone job. I am sure they will come back better than they came out of the factory. It will cost a bit, but if you are looking for perfection...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Usually that is the case, and I often do this but it is still a *****hoot buying on ebay. I have seen items purchased on ebay that even Bill can't fix! I am currently waiting on some horn/driver/xovers I purchased over a month ago and have no response to emails and no product. It can be a real stressor.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ditto. Bill will recone these and regauss the magnets as good and maybe better than new! GPA is the real deal!