Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Altec 805B horns, anyone here heard them?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Re: Altec 805B horns, anyone here heard them?

Again, look at the 1005 Vs 511 polar plots in the link I posted, it's much higher aspect ratio for 'fanning' over a large/wide distance, so better/'tighter' vertically, but since our hearing acuity isn't good vertically, mostly a moot point IME. Horns in general need to be at least ~10 WLs away IME, so the much bigger multicells are usually too big for most folk's homes. My original ~26 x 46 ft 'great room' was about right for the 805 and found that dual stacked 511s worked even better overall once tweaked till I built a huge ~63 Hz 1.5 way parabolic waveguide [WG] loadedwith the 511's dual 802-8A, 802-8G once critically damped.
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Again, look at the 1005 Vs 511 polar plots in the link I posted, it's much higher aspect ratio for 'fanning' over a large/wide distance, so better/'tighter' vertically, but since our hearing acuity isn't good vertically, mostly a moot point IME. Horns in general need to be at least ~10 WLs away IME, so the much bigger multicells are usually too big for most folk's homes. My original ~26 x 46 ft 'great room' was about right for the 805 and found that dual stacked 511s worked even better overall once tweaked till I built a huge ~63 Hz 1.5 way parabolic waveguide [WG] loadedwith the 511's dual 802-8A, 802-8G once critically damped.
    Will look closer at the link…I bookmarked immediately. What I may not be understanding is I thought the radiation pattern was frequency dependent.
    Always interesting talking points, thank you!
    10 WL listening distance in my room is ~700Hz, if I’m understanding here.

Any pictures of the ~63 Hz WG? …or any of the systems you hot rodded in years past? Love to see them!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

No experience with 805's, but have owned 1505's and 1005's both with dual 288's. The sonic mids to set the standard. Heard fingers and fingernails on guitar strings and bass strings that I didn't know existed on some recordings. I think that your idea of a tweeter in a cell was a great idea. If you get ten cells two over one down crossed right in front of you, would be the key, Got any slots ???

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LOUDER View Post
    No experience with 805's, but have owned 1505's and 1005's both with dual 288's. The sonic mids to set the standard. Heard fingers and fingernails on guitar strings and bass strings that I didn't know existed on some recordings. I think that your idea of a tweeter in a cell was a great idea. If you get ten cells two over one down crossed right in front of you, would be the key, Got any slots ???
    Thanks for the feedback…will probably place the tweeter on top initially and here’s a link to the 511Es I’m replacing and the tweeter that sits on top:
    Stereo Info
    Last edited by Steve Mac; November 18th, 2022 at 07:38 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mac View Post
    Will look closer at the link…I bookmarked immediately. What I may not be understanding is I thought the radiation pattern was frequency dependent.
    Always interesting talking points, thank you!
    10 WL listening distance in my room is ~700Hz, if I’m understanding here.

Any pictures of the ~63 Hz WG? …or any of the systems you hot rodded in years past? Love to see them!
    You're welcome!

It is, they show it's collapsing [beaming] in 10 deg steps, so short of in room measurements, good for toeing, focusing them to the desired average ear height, locations for best overall stereo in room and hopefully keeps them off the side walls till beside/behind said ears or highlights where to add floor/wall/ceiling damping if required. If you have coffee and/or side tables/whatever between you and the speakers, then ideally need to be covered with thick movers blankets for critical listening.

It's 10 WLs of the horn's cutoff, so for an 805 it's ~17.5+5.91+4 [guesstimate of a 288-8G's acoustic center] = ~27.41", 13543"_sec/4/27.41 = ~123.52 Hz

Anyway, 27.41*10 = 274.1/12 = ~22.84 Ft or if you prefer: ~13543"/274.1" = 49.41 Hz/12.52 = 2.5x or exactly 40% lower.

No, never had a good reason to waste filming costs on my DIY hobbies other than for racing and even most of those were ruined or disappeared over time and no holiday/whatever pictures ever had more than a snippet of either of the floor/ceiling stretched screen covers.

I've posted a write-up of my 'adventures' in tweaking every last drop of clarity, HF extension at my disposal [well equipped professional tooling machine shop used only for hum, 'very special' projects] out of a pair of 511 and responded to many cheap driver, speaker/horn tweaking posts on various forums across time/net, but haven't saved/cataloged them, so best I could do would be to scroll through 1000? or more posts still in various forum archives to find them, but life's too short nowadays.

Regardless, still got a dimensional sketch of the WG 'somewhere', but it's basically the width of a 211 horn minus venting, shaped in a 'V' to insert in the corners with a 1803's width turned vertical IIRC to get max practical horizontal polar control and a truncated 'V' cut to match the 211's for the dual 802s.
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

ok steve, I just have to ask, whatever became of the big the big horns ?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LOUDER View Post
    ok steve, I just have to ask, whatever became of the big the big horns ?
    Storage…with a bud back in Alabama. Ungodly great horns…miss them of course. Need to make space down here in Florida.

Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec 805B horns, anyone here heard them?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

I'm in Silver springs. Well, I have a house there anyway. I'm not there very much. But I'm putting up a workshop when I can talk to some contractors. I really want to build some cabinets- kitchen, shop, speakers, .
    But I'll have some storage when it's all said and done. I have a bunch of drivers, horns, and speaker oh my.
    Sonic Barbarian

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mac View Post
    the subject of markus klug came up here a while ago on the forum and the concern was the throat workmanship of which I never found a picture.
    Well, I found this: https://www.monoandstereo.com/2015/0...lug-horns.html
    Yeah, certainly not up to the tin knocker's workmanship, but if viewed from the fact that the horns were originally designed to get 12.5 kHz out of a ~7 kHz driver whereas nowadays the 288 and similar easily go out to 12.5 - 15 kHz, so throat 'finish' isn't so critical unless your hearing is good enough to perceive a dog whistle, hence the minor ripples in the extreme HF of these tiny edge mismatches.

'Been there, done that' 'chasing' the last bit of smoothness out of a pair of 511/802 only to find that I couldn't perceive any improvement in the extreme HF (really worth the effort down lower though!)
    and the females I used for this BW claimed it just made the recordings sound too shrill/dissident to the point where I had to roll off the 1.6 kHz EQ slider all the way down (-16 dB IIRC).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post
    I'm in Silver springs. Well, I have a house there anyway. I'm not there very much. But I'm putting up a workshop when I can talk to some contractors. I really want to build some cabinets- kitchen, shop, speakers, .
    But I'll have some storage when it's all said and done. I have a bunch of drivers, horns, and speaker oh my.
    I’m in Lady Lake…pretty close!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast