Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

When I decided that I wanted to try a few combinations, I couldn't really find any good recommendations, so when I starting gathering options, things just got a little out of hand forums (I also wanted to try vintage tube amps and now have about 100 Mac MC30s, some MC225s, MC40s and MC240s... My fiance is trying to get me into therapy... forums ).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tell you what, I'll compile an extensive, cross-referencable, exhaustive review for you of what OTHER people think is best.

And I'll do it all for a mere half of your collection, or 25% of your total investment, your choice.

You might ask yourself who it is you really want to please, yourself, or the world's forum sloths.

If the answer is the former, hook some of that stuff up, listen, and decide for yourself. If the latter, you're beyond help, and there's no sense in supporting a therapist to tell you your parents are to blame.

And marry that gal.

Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

aauwen: Man you access to ALL OF THAT EQUIPMENT?!! And you are asking us for help? You must have warehouse just to store it all. I have not even seen in real life some of those horns that you got, just read about them in a brochure. Is your dad or uncle or bro, sis etc a sound contractor? Oh my.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's why I have so many, people keep advising me to 'try it yourself', so I started gathering pieces to do that.

So, back to one of the questions, is the 2404H a recommended tweet to use, or is using a small format Altec driver on a smaller horn the way to go. (I'm asking ahead of time since I don't have any small tweeter horns yet and wanted to get some advice from the those with experience).

I'm DEFINITELY marrying this gal... forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by aauwen:

I'm DEFINITELY marrying this gal... forums
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not if you keep spending all that money on audio gear!

You'll never even have money for a honeymoon.

But seriously, DID you try any of the components you have acquired? If so, you must have some idea of what sounds nice to you, and what you definitely know you dont like.

And what you dont like, sell it off!

Do you have any idea what speaker system it is you would like to try to recreate? Do you like Model 19,s?

Are Altec basshorns what your after?

Just asking will a JBL 2404 work isnt really going to accomplish anything. As a tweeter in a 3 way system, crossed over, and powered properly yes it will work. OTOH, some people prefer 2 way systems, woofer and horn!

You still have to have some idea of what it is your after. For example, if you said you like Model 19,s, people here could give you better advice on which of your driver horn combos would be good choices.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Scotty's got a good point. Trying to be polite by only asking little questions doesn't seem to be helping you much. If you could give an overall idea of your "big-picture" system goal, I'll bet you can get some real help.

I've gotta admit to initially having doubts as to your story, so I checked you out. (We get our collective chains jerked around here quite a bit.) For the others, I can say what you already knew...it's for real. Since you've been such a good sport so far, might I suggest that you'd be an ideal candidate to nominate as a charter member of an AA group (Altec Anonymous)...Hello, my name is Joe, and I'm an Altec-O-holic... forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

So, back to one of the questions, is the 2404H a recommended tweet to use, or is using a small format Altec driver on a smaller horn the way to go.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">These are indeed nice old tech tweeters designed for a studio monitor IIRC, so not really suited for being perched in a corner unless mounted on a baffle to span the gap and damp the side walls out a ways to 'kill' early reflections.

A better choice would be a 1" throat conical WG that best matches up to whichever mid horn you wind up with. I'm not current on all the tweeter horns available these days, so not sure if you'll have to DIY one or not.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, my long term goal is to have a two channel system to listen to a variety of music. I have the khorns and haven't been very happy with the mids and highs. The bass section was upgraded with new Bob Crites K33s and that improved the bass enough that I'm happy with that. I have enough wood working equipment that I can build a new top section for the khorns, so wanted to start figuring out what mid horns and tweets to incorporate into a three way system. I jumped the gun on a few of the Altec pieces because I didn't really do my homework to find out the specs I needed to stay within, i.e. crossover freq for the khorn bass, which drivers would go that low or high, etc. The other upgrade I made to the khorns is the addition of ALK extreme slope crossovers that cross at 400hz and 5800hz, so the new mid and tweets that I use should be able to cover those. My first try will be with the re-diaphramed 290Es and the 311-90 horns. The second will be the 288-16Hs on the 311s. Each will be with the 2404. Does this sound like a good start?

My fiance has been very supportive of my obsessiveness with this hobby and tolerates all of the horns and amps sitting around the house. We have our extra bedroom in use as the two channel listening room, with the hopes of building a dedicated media room addition onto the house in a couple of years (when we save up a few pennies)... forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Things just got a little out of hand forums (I also wanted to try vintage tube amps and now have about 100 Mac MC30s, some MC225s, MC40s and MC240s... My fiance is trying to get me into therapy... forums ).
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">A little out of hand?

This is what you do, since you already have so much stuff! You try some of it out, you see what you do like and what you definitely dont like. Then you proceed from that point.

Then, once you have a system that you do like, ebay the rest of the stuff you wont be using, and recoup some of your money.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wo!

I just re-read your post, I originally thought you had siad you had about 10 Mc amps, I see now you said you have about 100! Are you serious? How did you purchase so much without listening to anything, or knowing what it is your after?

100 amplifiers takes up some space, you must have have big house to store all the gear.

I hesitate to ask how many compression drivers you have!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast