Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by GM:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by aauwen:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">These are indeed nice old tech tweeters designed for a studio monitor IIRC, so not really suited for being perched in a corner unless mounted on a baffle to span the gap and damp the side walls out a ways to 'kill' early reflections.

A better choice would be a 1" throat conical WG that best matches up to whichever mid horn you wind up with. I'm not current on all the tweeter horns available these days, so not sure if you'll have to DIY one or not.
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think what GM alluded to is the need to select complementary components that have the nearest match of polar response at the selected XO point (since you've already selected those). This is as important to getting components to blend nicely as it is to have the XO point in both drivers useable bandwidth.

I have no experience with khorns, so I can't help there.

Having already selected a very specific XO, you've limited your options considerably. If you're open to changing that, and considering the multitude of options you have, I'd suggest;

Pick up a decent 3-way active crossover (sell a Mac or 2 if needed). Get one with a wide range of XO points, variable delay for each band, and maybe even variable slopes. This way you can try all the combinations you want until you find what you like best. Once you've made the decicion, you COULD build/buy a passive XO to suit that application, but I doubt you'd want to. Active would let you put 6 of those Macs to work instead of two as well, with the extra dynamic range, efficiency matching, and other benefits that entails.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Originally posted by aauwen:
    Each will be with the 2404. Does this sound like a good start?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Good as any I guess, though I'd still baffle/damp the 2404 and it wouldn't hurt to do the 311 either to seal off the rear cavity, which should be stuffed with polyfil or similar. Actually, a plastic bag loosely filled with kitty litter draped over/around the drivers to mass load the horns and fill the surrounding void as much as practical before adding the stuffing would be better. Of course use digital time delay on the mid/HF horns to get them in step with the K-horns.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Originally posted by bfish:
    I think what GM alluded to is....... This is as important......

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You got it!

Mine is limited to not liking them, though now with the availability of drivers/horns better suited to it and digital delay I imagine they can be pretty good bass-horns if you have the rigid/damped corners required to make them mechanically efficient. Still, custom mid/HF WGs are required for better performance and best with a 90 deg. Unity concept.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by GM:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by bfish:
    I think what GM alluded to is....... This is as important......

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">custom mid/HF WGs are required for better performance and best with a 90 deg. Unity concept.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for the input, but as a newby, you lossed me with the WGs and 90 deg. Unity concept...?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

WG = waveguides, i.e. horns with no designed in gain beyond confining the sound 'bubbles' to a specific angle.

90 deg Unity concept is a coincident multi-way horn system based on the inventor Tom Danley's patented 60 deg Unity horn where 60 deg defines its initial wall angle: http://www.google.com/patents?id=ELk...J&dq=6,411,718

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

WG = waveguides, i.e. horns with no designed in gain beyond confining the sound 'bubbles' to a specific angle.

90 deg Unity concept is a coincident multi-way horn system based on the inventor Tom Danley's patented 60 deg Unity horn where 60 deg defines its initial wall angle: http://www.google.com/patents?id=ELk...J&dq=6,411,718

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by aauwen:
    ...What's a good recommendation for an active crossover that would also add time correction?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I use a Rane AC24 (4-way, ~$700) that I 'm pleased with, though I'm sure there are more reasonably-priced 3-ways.

2 primary considerations;

Connectivity- Many units use pro-based, balanced I/O. Know that you can fully integrate your gear with potential candidates pre-purchase.

DSP- Most units are digital, which means an internal A/D-D/A conversion. Plan to include future needs to find a unit that incorporates all the features you might want such as EQ, etc. so you don't end up with multiple units doing multiple conversions.

Senior Hostboard Member
    288-16H Frequency response..?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, take a look at the Behringer DCX 2496,3 in 6 out, parametric EQ's on all. Has a digital in, so if you add the companion DEQ you still only have one conversion, the DEQ's digital out goes to the DCX digital in. The DEQ adds 31 band graphic to the mix.

It's a nice piece, a little underbuilt IMHO for hard road use, but fine for this app.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by GM:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thank you for the links. I'm familiar with RF waveguides, but didn't know the term applied to audio horns as well. Unity coupled sounds like it would have to be a DIY project and eventually I want to fire up the wood working tools to try my hand at speaker building, but for now I think I just want to see what I can put together around the khorn base bin. What's a good recommendation for an active crossover that would also add time correction?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast