Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Mastering Labs xover for 16 ohm Big Reds and driver tune up

Hi guys,

Getting back into audio after a number of years absence and am going to start restoring/dialing in my Big Reds. They are bone stock with M/L xovers on the back. My version uses the 604-16LN, not too common from what I can find. One thing I have noticed is the highs aren't really there as I think they should be, could be my aging ears but there just isn't a lot of sparkle to them. I noticed a little trash on the throat screens..perhaps a cleaning is in order .

I haven't pulled the xovers apart again but I am now wondering about different versions to accommodate the 16 ohm 604. I have only seen one schematic published for the M/L xover and it isn't mentioned what the impedance is. I'll attach the drawing I have and a few pics of the driver.

I haven't ever taken one of these apart, is there anything to watch out for in dismantling the 604? Will I be able to get to the throat screen?

Thanks all, I hope I can get the highs back, after all, they were used as studio monitors for many years.

cheers

PS could someone please confirm if the attached schematic is for the 16 ohm xover? From what I read, I think there WAS just the 16, but want to make sure. thx

DSCN2935.jpgDSCN2939.jpgDSCN2934.jpgDSCN2930.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kilohertz; November 23rd, 2022 at 06:36 PM.