Thread: Port on 820 cab.

kestudio

Wink

Hi there!
    After having decided to build a 820 cab. for my 604E speakers, i think about changing the port to a tube!?
    I?m afraid to hear mid-freq. through the port
    and think a tube may be better to stop them coming through because of the air-volume in the tube.
    Any experiences? I wouldn?t like to put more damping-material inside the cab as absolutely must be and think this a little bit few for mids not to come outside . . .
    I?m in the start to build - phase, you know. .

regards, Klaus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

You'll hear it through a tube vent also. Damping material won't affect LF output until >1.5lbs/ft^3 is used. I recommend using a tube though as it 'pumps up' quicker than a large reflex vent, ultimately loading the driver more uniformly over a wider power range.

GM

kestudio

Hi GM!
    Thanks! May be i?ll try an array of very thin tubes inside the tube. That shouldn?t effect lows too much but should prevent mids to get outside!?

regards, Klaus

kestudio

right!

best, Klaus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

This makes the vent aperiodic and will rapidly roll off the response with little impact on the upper harmonics. A good way to critically damp the cab though, like stretching cloth over the vent. Won't have much LF output though.

Really, IMO the best thing is to tune with a pipe for best output, then experiment with various density materials to use as grill cloth to voice the driver/vent combo, then use EQ to lift the extreme HF as required to offset the cloth's effect.

GM