Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Re: k1005b

Ultimate upgrade short of a MEH concept (AKA Danley Synergy multiway horn) would arguably be the 1803 with dual drivers.

Having 'experienced' both in acoustically very large rooms, though decades apart, the 1803 is by far the more 'entertaining'/'engaging' of the two lusted after until I DIYed some very large WGs, i.e. has lots of euphonic distortion, relatively speaking, but for sheer realism/accuracy a proper MEH 'disappears' pretty much regardless of where ones ears are with no audible distortion of any type, leaving only the recording, signal chain, room modes to 'color' the signal.

Unfortunately it's this extreme lack of distortion that while liking its disappearing 'act', many don't like its otherwise too 'dry'/whatever presentation, but at least they have a 'blank slate' from which to work from to get their desired 'color' with minimal signal deterioration, so still the best option overall.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RonSSS View Post
    Since the home environment has us much closer to near field by comparison, the sections get in the way. So, I actually removed them on my M19 800hz horns for a nice improvement. I probably would not hack up a set of 511E's as they are pretty rare.
    .....and no need to IME.

Did this to a pair of 511s for the same reason, but had I known about the yet to be offered 511E at the time, would have instead done what Altec did and I much later did to several pairs of 511s, i.e. cut out the welds and stuck some damping material in the gaps since I had no access to Altec's (probably superior) inserts, IOW IME it's their 'ringing' compounded by its other 'ringing' issues that's the problem, not the pathlength division per se.

Of course one still needs CD horn EQ for flattest response over the widest BW.
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Did this to a pair of 511s for the same reason, but had I known about the yet to be offered 511E at the time, would have instead done what Altec did and I much later did to several pairs of 511s, i.e. cut out the welds and stuck some damping material in the gaps since I had no access to Altec's (probably superior) inserts, IOW IME it's their 'ringing' compounded by its other 'ringing' issues that's the problem, not the pathlength division per se.

Of course one still needs CD horn EQ for flattest response over the widest BW.
    …I think I still have some of that pipe fitters rubber that maybe Old Guy or bfish recommended way back if anyone dares to do this.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Interesting! don't recall this ever being published on any of the H.E. forums.
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.