Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

k1005b

MK1005B not K1005B…how do I edit the title?

I’ll post pics soon but, I received a pair of wooden horns from Markus Klug yesterday and got them setup last night. I’ve been running a set of GPA 288H drivers through Altec 511E horns. Great sound the 511E’s but the multi-cells are a different sound entirely. First thing I noticed was a much more natural sound. Words stink when describing but I can say the stereo imaging is better and no longer position specific. I would need to tame the 511E’s because they were more direct, so initially the 1005’s sound level felt less because the horns so adequtely direct the sound. It feels more like a sound cloud and less like a frontal assault. Anyhow, the horns are very beautiful sounding. BTW, the workmanship of Martin’s horns are admirable and he was a pleasure to work with.

Anyway, at least now I understand the difference between sectorals and multi-cells.

Senior Hostboard Member
    k1005b

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Re: k1005b

Multicells have awesome midrange control
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Multicells have awesome midrange control
    Yes, and this is what I have always disliked with round horns, as they are so particular in getting the “image” without being in a specific location. Anyway, these are the best I have heard! My journey may be over?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Very cool Steve. I look forward to the pictures.

I got to listen to a buddy's 515B A7 setup with 1505 tar filled horns. Dual throat with JBL 375 compression drivers. Bring your checkbook for those bad boys.
    Big listening room. And just wow. Effortless, natural. Huge sweet spot.

I always wanted to get into the large format stuff, but the prices now are just out of sight.

Sectoral horns were developed to disperse the sound to the back and sides of a theatre. Since the home environment has us much closer to near field by comparison, the sections get in the way. So, I actually removed them on my M19 800hz horns for a nice improvement. I probably would not hack up a set of 511E's as they are pretty rare.

Ron
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Ultimate upgrade short of a MEH concept (AKA Danley Synergy multiway horn) would arguably be the 1803 with dual drivers.

Having 'experienced' both in acoustically very large rooms, though decades apart, the 1803 is by far the more 'entertaining'/'engaging' of the two lusted after until I DIYed some very large WGs, i.e. has lots of euphonic distortion, relatively speaking, but for sheer realism/accuracy a proper MEH 'disappears' pretty much regardless of where ones ears are with no audible distortion of any type, leaving only the recording, signal chain, room modes to 'color' the signal.

Unfortunately it's this extreme lack of distortion that while liking its disappearing 'act', many don't like its otherwise too 'dry'/whatever presentation, but at least they have a 'blank slate' from which to work from to get their desired 'color' with minimal signal deterioration, so still the best option overall.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RonSSS View Post
    Since the home environment has us much closer to near field by comparison, the sections get in the way. So, I actually removed them on my M19 800hz horns for a nice improvement. I probably would not hack up a set of 511E's as they are pretty rare.
    .....and no need to IME.

Did this to a pair of 511s for the same reason, but had I known about the yet to be offered 511E at the time, would have instead done what Altec did and I much later did to several pairs of 511s, i.e. cut out the welds and stuck some damping material in the gaps since I had no access to Altec's (probably superior) inserts, IOW IME it's their 'ringing' compounded by its other 'ringing' issues that's the problem, not the pathlength division per se.

Of course one still needs CD horn EQ for flattest response over the widest BW.
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Did this to a pair of 511s for the same reason, but had I known about the yet to be offered 511E at the time, would have instead done what Altec did and I much later did to several pairs of 511s, i.e. cut out the welds and stuck some damping material in the gaps since I had no access to Altec's (probably superior) inserts, IOW IME it's their 'ringing' compounded by its other 'ringing' issues that's the problem, not the pathlength division per se.

Of course one still needs CD horn EQ for flattest response over the widest BW.
    …I think I still have some of that pipe fitters rubber that maybe Old Guy or bfish recommended way back if anyone dares to do this.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Interesting! don't recall this ever being published on any of the H.E. forums.
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member gortnipper's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mac View Post
    MK1005B not K1005B…how do I edit the title?

I’ll post pics soon but, I received a pair of wooden horns from Markus Klug yesterday and got them setup last night. I’ve been running a set of GPA 288H drivers through Altec 511E horns. Great sound the 511E’s but the multi-cells are a different sound entirely. First thing I noticed was a much more natural sound. Words stink when describing but I can say the stereo imaging is better and no longer position specific. I would need to tame the 511E’s because they were more direct, so initially the 1005’s sound level felt less because the horns so adequtely direct the sound. It feels more like a sound cloud and less like a frontal assault. Anyhow, the horns are very beautiful sounding. BTW, the workmanship of Martin’s horns are admirable and he was a pleasure to work with.

Anyway, at least now I understand the difference between sectorals and multi-cells.
    Nice! What do these KB horns run?

I've always wanted a set of 1005s. I paid for a set of tar filled ones off Altec Best years ago but he never shipped them.
    Last edited by gortnipper; February 2nd, 2023 at 04:22 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gortnipper View Post
    Nice! What do these KB horns run?
    I've always wanted a set of 1005s. I paid for a set of tar filled ones off Alec Best years ago but he never shipped them.
    ~1700 dollars….different finishes possible…includes shipping….used payPal…a little expensive…but they are hand made!
    If I ever start another project, please tell me to start on the midrange first.

P.S. I’m sorry to hear about the money you lost…the audio folks here on this forum have always been very cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Interesting! don't recall this ever being published on any of the H.E. forums.
    GM…I used this rubber to seal the back of the mid bass horn, and I assumed maybe this material, as strong as it is, could be a candidate for dampening the vanes of a sectoral horn.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Do you mean cutting a slice out of rubber pipe washers or......? didn't find any sheet stock in a quick search.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast