Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Speaker ideas for 3127 drivers

I have a quad of 3127 I’d like to build some cabs for. I know the 8227 cab uses a pair of 3127 in a 3 foot enclosure with an f3 of 70hz. I was wondering how much more bass I can get out of these by going bigger.

Although the idea of a smaller cabinet like 8227 is appealing. And then just run a separate subwoofer.

Also how about a MTM setup with these? The horns I’ll use haven’t been decided yet. But something with a 1” driver for sure. Crossed over at maybe 1500hz?

Anyone done anything with 3127 drivers?

Senior Hostboard Member
    Speaker ideas for 3127 drivers

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Re: Speaker ideas for 3127 drivers

Yes, I sold a pair to a guy in Italy.

😄
    Sonic Barbarian

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Did he build some boot shaped cabs for them?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Portable Violin Case subs. Guido approved.

Was always intrigued by the 15" later stuff, but never have had any.
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Well, speaker design is about trading efficiency for BW, so based on published specs, then a max flat cab is 2.5 ft^3 net tuned to Fs and you'll need to either add enough series resistance to flatten it or digital EQ or design a suitably large BLH to tune it to as low as Fs*Qts/2 = 5.5 Hz, though once below Fs, power handling will quickly become limited to 'flea' power, so realistically only design for ~32 Hz, preferably corner loaded.

A stereo pair of MTM or even just duals where it rolls off the upper woofer (2.5 way) tuned to ~32 Hz are good options if super loud isn't a goal; or if needing a relatively narrow horizontal directivity, then a 9844 baffle layout.

XO point would be based on layout/desired directivity and/or HF horn choice.
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Thanks for the input GM! So if I want something that can handle closer to the factory power specs I should go with the 8227 cab then?

Not that I would be listening super loud all the time, but it is very likely they’ll get fed a few hundred watts from time to time.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

The 82227 is presumably the best for ~continuous high power apps based on destruction testing; but for short term, AFAIK the pioneer's Vas/1.44 tuned to 1.56x Fs is the max, i.e. Xmax/Xlim sets low/high distortion max power, which depending on driver design can be ~1.4142 - 2x 250 W continuous, 500 W program that make a recording sound/feel more realistic, though in a sim and not knowing Xlim, best to assume just ~350/700 W max and your call to test higher.

So ideally measure T/S specs for all of them, find the mean specs to design with. For venting a single round hole is most efficient, but at this level the pioneers know best, so dual 7" dia. based on published specs, increased power up to ~1 kW with length TBD.
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I need to get Dats or something so I can test Ts specs. My quad of 3127 have original cones is all I know. So maybe specs are close to published specs? It would be nice to verify.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Indeed! As power increases, any mismatch can become a real problem in that the one drawing the most current will dominate and next thing you know the other one is little more than a passive radiator till the current 'hog' rolls over from heat rise, VC burns up.

For this reason prosound drivers tend to be well matched, but as time wore on Altec was being increasingly gutted, so QA suffered, hence the caution to measure, match, use the mean for design. The last two custom ordered 515B in '87 were so far off from spec and each other I had to tune the cabs completely differently, but being just a stereo pair they sounded identical in room, but efficiency was off enough that it took more power than the little flea power amp had at low distortion, so the owner wasn't a 'happy camper' overall.

After that, I only ordered the last pair of the ultralite diaphragms as spares when the distributor was having a 'fire sale'/switching to B0$3 prosound in '96?.

Anyway, there's lots of cheaper ways to measure drivers than DATS, which has been known to have problems.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

99D7BD0A-E0E9-43E6-9E64-7BEFCA935E0B.jpg

These are what I built. Cabs are 8227 specs, with dual 3127, Emilar EH800 and EC175 drivers. I’m using some Community xovers I had already. Gotta do something different eventually.
    I also need to finish the cabs. Either paint or stain.

These sound pretty decent. And they get pretty loud with 500wpc. They also have pretty decent bass. Not super low, but it’s there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast