Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

FYI, the dims combined with a picture of the cab and the vents required to tune it 40 Hz doesn't add up to 8.5 ft^3, more like ~8.05 ft^3 gross, so the drivers, vents and bracing needs to be deducted to find its net volume (Vb), which based on tuning appears to be around 6.65 ft^3.

GM

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

the seeburg copy

http://www.pbase.com/armandh/root&edit=Y

also used tubular ports

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Since my name is on the 8254-LF drawing, I should clarify a few things;

Because the 8254-LF did not exist except as part of the A10 system, a data sheet was not created. I asked engineering for dimensions and they gave me a hand-drawing on Altec Lansing Engineering graph paper. The posted drawing is a re-draw. Neither drawing shows details of the bracing or inset baffle. Typical bracing of an Altec enclosure would be; 2"x 2" braces angled across each panel and front-to-back between the ports. The baffle is typically recessed 1/2".

The drawing shows the dimensions of the "8254-LF" and the volume/port tuning that Altec Lansing engineering calculated. If the calculations are incorrect, so what? The 8254-LF works. I have four of them and two A700XLF cousins. Load this box with 3154 for cinema apps, or 3156/4156 for thumpin' music.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Originally posted by GaryZ:
    Since my name is on the 8254-LF drawing......

Typical bracing of an Altec enclosure......

If the calculations are incorrect, so what?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you say so, I see no name on it. Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Yes, folks can use the 8256X drawing in the AN12 pdf as a guideline: http://www.cpcproductions.com/altec_...LFCabinets.pdf

Well, maybe someone just wants to do a sim to see what sort of response plot it generates or maybe they want to do it with different cab dimensions to fit their room/whatever or maybe they want to get an idea if a lower or higher tuning would suit their app better or whether they should just design from scratch rather than trying to 'make do' with a THX cinema alignment, etc..

Now, I don't know about you, but most folks I help WRT cab design would just load in 8.5 ft^3 rather than work it out as I did, ergo my response in the hope it may eventually help someone.

GM

Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Gary Z

Will the EV HP 9040 work as well as the MR 945 on this model ?

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ July 16, 2008 07:22 PM: Message edited by: CONVERGENCE ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by CONVERGENCE:
    Gary Z

Will the EV HP 9040 work as well as the MR 945 on this model ?

<font color="#FFFFFF"><font size="1">[ July 16, 2008 07:22 PM: Message edited by: CONVERGENCE ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">EV and Altec's parent company, Mark IV Audio, decided they could improve profits by sharing as many products and processes as possible. They thought they could replace the original large MR horns with HP knock-offs. The MR945 is an HP9040 with a 1.4" throat. I thought it was very interesting that the MR945 did not suffer from standing waves in the throat and it did not have the HP "vanes".

BTW: We did listening tests between the MR94 and the MR945. Each was loaded with a 299-8A. The MR945 sounds good. It was just not as good as the MR94. The MR94 was much smoother and offered a fullness in the mids.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[/QUOTE]If you say so, I see no name on it. Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Yes, folks can use the 8256X drawing in the AN12 pdf as a guideline: http://www.cpcproductions.com/altec_...LFCabinets.pdf

Well, maybe someone just wants to do a sim to see what sort of response plot it generates or maybe they want to do it with different cab dimensions to fit their room/whatever or maybe they want to get an idea if a lower or higher tuning would suit their app better or whether they should just design from scratch rather than trying to 'make do' with a THX cinema alignment, etc..

Now, I don't know about you, but most folks I help WRT cab design would just load in 8.5 ft^3 rather than work it out as I did, ergo my response in the hope it may eventually help someone.

GM[/QB][/QUOTE]

GM,
    If you rest your cursor on the 8254 file name in "My Computer", you will see "gjones" as the author. That's me . . .

The 8256 cabinet plans are an excellent example of the bracing and baffle recess. It looks like I was wrong about the baffle recess. 1" is typical.

Now, I don't know about you, but most folks would not load anything in. They would just go with the port size listed.

Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Gary Z

In order to compete with the JBL 2360A horn I will need the HP9040 that retails for 900.00$ Can,
    the driver 300.00 $. The MR94 would be more HI FI
    but the competition is to rough and for a large venue of 2000 seats you can't take chances with a smaller horn.

What about surrounds. Are the EV surrounds identical to the ALTEC surrounds ?

If you designed the A-10 :Hats off for you and congratulations for putting Altec on the THX list

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There's a nice pair of MR94s on eBay with only a little over a day to go and no bids yet;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Altec-Lansing-MR...QQcmdZViewItem

Too bad they're pickup only. Offhand, I can't think of any members in the St Louis area to pick them up and ship them for you. It would be ~700 mile round trip for me... forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast